Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Prius Owners A 'Special' Breed?
LACB - November 30, 2005

In one of the more memorable episodes of Larry David's HBO series, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," David proclaims, "We're Prius drivers. We're a special breed."

According to the Los Angeles Times, that's part of the problem. In a tongue-in-cheek editorial last September, the LA Times suggests, "While SUV drivers can be irritating behind the wheel, Prius owners can be irritating once they get out of the car."

The irritation centered around the new yellow decals being issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles that allows certain hybrid vehicles (the Prius included) to travel in the carpool lane without a carpool. Rather than whole-heartedly embracing the stickers, many Prius owners complained that they were too big and ugly.

"You'd think they were being required to affix 'Global warming is a myth' bumper stickers," exclaims the Times in half-serious disbelief. "Some owners have called their representatives in Sacramento in protest. Others have gone online to vent. A few have tried using Velcro (or, with less success because the bumper is not metal, magnets) to attach the stickers so they can be easily removed when the Prius is not on the freeway."

The Times had opposed the law that allows single-occupant hybrids into the carpool lanes. "We are now considering reconsidering our position in view of the reaction of Prius owners," says the newspaper in its most recent editorial on the subject. "Anything that annoys them this much can't be all bad."

However, on the popular Internet forums devoted to Prius owners (e.g., PriusChat.com, PriusOnline.com), there were a number of owners taking the vocal protesters to task for whining about the decals. "I agree with the Times editorial," proclaimed one owner.

A closer look at the demographics of the owners who frequent the Prius forums reveals a wide spectrum of beliefs and backgrounds. True, a lot of Prius owners favor a cleaner environment, energy independence, world peace and other causes often pegged as being left-of-center. Yet, there's a number of self-proclaimed conservatives who own the car and frequent the forums. A handful of Republican Prius owners with 'Support Our Troops' magnets affixed alongside their HOV lane decals can be counted on to keep the discussions lively...

Full article: http://www.lacar.com/modules.php?name=N ... le&sid=562

Larry David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Win Larry David's Prius

Larry David wants to ‘Curb’ global warming

Actor giving students a chance to win the hybrid car from his HBO series
The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Larry David and mtvU, MTV’s college network, launched the “Curb Global Warming Sweepstakes” Tuesday. By signing up for the yearlong Stop Global Warming Virtual March on Washington, students get the chance to win David’s hybrid car from his HBO series, “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” Laurie David, the comedian’s wife, founded the virtual march, which is an online petition urging politicians to protect the environment. Giving away her husband’s car, though, was news to him. “She didn’t even tell me!” exclaimed Larry in a phone interview with The Associated Press."...

Full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9330527/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Larry David is hilarious. Watching the episode where Marla ruins his jacket at the beach right now.

I've never heard of MTVu - even though I have a pretty extensive cable package. Wouldn't mind winning that car for my mom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts