Toyota Prius Forum banner

Anything you would do differently?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cwerdna 
#1 ·
My wife and I just picked up our 2006 silver pine mica, package #5 from Toyota of Boone here in N.C. They got three new Prii in yesterday, and actually have a black one that's not sold yet. The purchase experience was excellent. Our salesman was Joey Campbell, and he never tried to sell us anything "extra" and took over a half hour explaining to us the various features on the car.

I was wondering, hence this post, since my car now has 8 miles on it, is there anything any of you would have done differently (looking back on it now) when you first picked up your car? Anything you may suggest I do with mine that may be of benefit after the miles add up?? (other than just drive and enjoy, which we are already doing!!!!) I have already read in anticipation about the tire pressure, oil changes, etc. that have been posted here.

Anyway, we're very happy to "officially" be amoung the Prius family and look forward to continuing to read all your experiences and suggestions and posts.

WHOOOoooPEEeeeee!!!!! I got a PRIUS!!!!! :D :D :D

#2 ·
I'm not sure if they put on that "lifetime shine" protection on the paint. If not (or even if) check out Zaino. It gives the car the best shine you could imagine without expensive repainting. Try
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
for more info. If you like I can post on my experiences with this stuff, but short answer is it's all been good! Best part is it's a multistep process, so you really get to know your car well. ;)
It really does protect the paint as well, which is why I'm telling you of it.

#3 ·
Things I'd do differently

I previously posted a really, really long summary of our experience picking up two prii, and you could "diff" between those and figure out what we'd do differently. Here's the link.

Even after that, there is one more thing that I thought of. Decline the prepaid maintenance plan on the spot. We took it because it seemed like a good deal, until we were surprised to find that the service could only be done at that dealer -- unlike the "good at any Toyota dealer" coupons we were shown when we agreed. Grr.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. Is it true that you should wait a certain period of time before waxing a new car? (I've heard the paint has to cure, stuff like that)

Xen, why would you have purchased a used one? Here in N.C. used Prii are (1) almost nonexistent, and (2) within a couple of hundred dollars of the price of a new Prius (mainly bec/ there's no waiting period, they're used, and they're here and you can have it now)..... that may be different in other parts of the country/world.....

#6 ·
Used cars (in good shape) are just a smarter choice, they've already depreciated. To your point, a used Prius is very hard to come by, and when you can find one, they cost is not that far off from a new one (provided you are looking for a low miles/new Prius).

I always have issues buying used, which is why I always buy new. How did that person drive the car? I certainly know how I drove my WRX (last car before the Prius), it may have had 25K miles on it, but the way I drove it probably has the wear of 45K ;).

What did their butt do to the seat? =)

#7 ·
no tax credit on used hybrids

At this point, I think buying a used Prius is a bad idea unless the savings are so great as to negate the advantage of the $3150 tax credit of buying a new one. Once that credit starts going down on October 1st and eventually reaches 0, used Priuses might make more sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.