Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard for sure about the 2008 Prius being a "plug-in" with up to 95 MPG?

Any word on options etc?

I got stupid and traded my Prius in for a Jag and am thinking about getting back into an 08 prius.

THANKS!!

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hyperion said:
A Jaguar in Iowa? It must be a rare breed!
Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the way the Prius handled the snow last year so I bought the x-type (Jag) which is all wheel drive. Of course it only gets 18 - 24 MPG.

I will definitely trade the jag back in for a 2008 Prius if they come out with the rumored 95 MPG plug-in option, snow or no snow!!!

thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Did you have a proper set of snow tires? You can't beat them for all-around performance in frozen stuff, even with AWD (used with 'all-season' tires)

I think the '08 will be like the '07 and prior, and '09 is rumored to be the redesign with advanced HSD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Titanicman said:
Has anyone heard for sure about the 2008 Prius being a "plug-in" with up to 95 MPG?

Steve
Wikipedia has a paragraph on the Prius redesigned, now said to be scheduled for 2009 year model:

2009 Prius

The Prius is scheduled for a redesign for the 2009 model with a significant number of upgrades. It has been mentioned that the new Prius will receive an upgrade in petrol engine from 1.5 liters to 1.8 liters. It will also receive new smaller and more powerful lithium ion batteries which should give the new Prius more cabin space. The upgraded specifications of the vehicle will give it vastly improved mileage rumored to be between 80-113 MPG as well as improved acceleration giving it a sprint time of less than 10 seconds in 0-62 MPH [7]. The body is also redesigned to give a more sleek sport look [8].

NOTE: The 113 mpg figure is in Imperial Gallons. 1.2 US gallons = 1.0 Imperial gallons, so 113 MPG in this article actually means 94 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
firepa63 said:
Wow, I think I'll take a look at the Honda when it comes out...
It is sharp isn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Keeping in mind the source of the "aritcle", the Sun, and the reason for it in the paper (to sell more papers), do you really think there is -any- possibility of fact there? Yes, the concept vehicles were "real". I think the reports of the Prius, while very exciting, are bogus! Like most things seen in that paper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
David Beale said:
Keeping in mind the source of the "aritcle", the Sun, and the reason for it in the paper (to sell more papers), do you really think there is -any- possibility of fact there? Yes, the concept vehicles were "real". I think the reports of the Prius, while very exciting, are bogus! Like most things seen in that paper.
Oh come on. It's the Sun, not a politician. There's likely to be some truth to the article!

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
David Beale said:
Keeping in mind the source of the "aritcle", the Sun, and the reason for it in the paper (to sell more papers), do you really think there is -any- possibility of fact there? Yes, the concept vehicles were "real". I think the reports of the Prius, while very exciting, are bogus! Like most things seen in that paper.
Oh come on. It's the Sun, not a politician. There's likely to be some truth to the article!

:lol:
Yah, I mean the article that said Britney Spears was abducted and impregnated by aliens was close to true...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Sanny said:
Hep said:
David Beale said:
Keeping in mind the source of the "aritcle", the Sun, and the reason for it in the paper (to sell more papers), do you really think there is -any- possibility of fact there? Yes, the concept vehicles were "real". I think the reports of the Prius, while very exciting, are bogus! Like most things seen in that paper.
Oh come on. It's the Sun, not a politician. There's likely to be some truth to the article!

:lol:
Yah, I mean the article that said Britney Spears was abducted and impregnated by aliens was close to true...
100% true, Sanny... Articles like that usually begin with "So and so told this reporter that..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
:roll: Pardon my skepticism... :roll:

The 'remarkable' predictions of the 2009 Prius' capabilities remind me of the 'vapor-ware' computer software predictions. Many capabilities were 'announced' or 'predicted' which never came to be. Whatever the 2009 Prius may be, and I'm confident it will be a significant change from the current [2004-2007] model, its capabilities will only be known when it is actually produced.

Even so, I'm in my 2nd Prius [2004 traded up to a 2007 Touring Edition] and am pleased with the performance and capabilities of the Prius.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
640 Posts
Don't know if there's any truth behind the Sun article, but I strongly prefer that "new" Prius" over the roach-like Honda. I think that more aerodynamic, sporty Prius design is the perfect follower to the 2nd gen. I'm pretty sure the way it could legitimately claim to get mileage into the 80s or even 90s will be mostly on the strength of a plug-in option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
Normally, Toyota moves to next Gen vehicle on a 4 to 5 years cycle.
The 1st Gen Classic Prius launched in Japan as the 97 model. 2nd Gen Prius introduced in 2004. So the Prius has a longer amortization period?
If we assume the replacement intervals from the Classic to the 2nd Gen
Prius then I don't see the 3rd Gen coming anytime soon?

However, the number of 2nd Gen Prius beeing put out to market nowdays
one starts to think that Toyota wants to "Use up" all the Prius peripheral parts in its procurement arsenals as quick as possible? Preparing for the 3rd Gen Prius launch?

I've got to poke more about this .. Japan side will know...the answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I thought the 97 was different than what we now call the classic, which would make the classic a Gen2.
DanMan32,

Yeah, I thought it too. 97 to 01 the Gen I, 01 to 03 the Gen II and the
04 and on the Gen III. However, the 97 to 03 the difference is the power out put MG1/MG2 ? and battery density ? I'm I correct here ?

So if different, then Pre-Classic, then the American Classic and the 2nd Gen Prius ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
That image of the 'new' Prius has Celica written all over it; I don't like it.

Now that Honda, I can clearly see Prius inspired windows and yes, it is very sharp.

Any idea of Honda is actually using their own tech now or hand-me-downs still?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top