Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down to the wire and about to buy the 6 year 100K mile extended warranty from Troy Dietrich, who I found at PriusChat.com. I'm sure you all know about that deal. Anyway, before I take that leap and put another $875 on my credit card :shock: , has anyone actually had to use his/her extended warranty? Has the MFD gone bad? A/C compressor? TSB's done after 36K? The one major thing that's not covered under either the extended warranty or the hybrid components warranty is the hybrid battery relay. Anyone have any issues with that?

Usually I wouldnt buy a car if I thought I needed so much repair insurance but, well, it's a Prius . . . Does this car hold up as well as the Toyota reputation would lead one to believe it would, even though there's so many bells & whistles? If you've used the warranty, how did the process work?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts very soon - I have about a tank of gas to go before it's too late!!

Thanks-
Susan
04 Silver BC
35,750 miles

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm coming up on 30K. I will take my chances with Toyota quality. No extended warranty for me.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hep said:
I'm coming up on 30K. I will take my chances with Toyota quality. No extended waranty for me.
I trust Toyota quality, but I did get extended... only because although Hybrids have been out for awhile, I just wanted to be extra sure there weren't little things that I'd get screwed over for :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
the EW

I just posted on this topic at PriusChat and below is a copy of that message.

I bought a Prius in 2001 and the extended warranty at the same time. Way back then, what we had to go on was Prius being quite new technology, and Toyota's favorable reputation for reliability. Since then I have driven 86k miles and made no claims against the EW. I have also read innumerable internet posts concerning Prius' reliability, which have been overwhelmingly favorable. A few vehicles have had expensive failures outside of warranty, and in most of those cases, Toyota has apparently paid at least part of the expense. In addition, on both Prius models, systemic problems that could potentially affect large numbers of vehicles have resulted in SSCs and TSBs that are no-cost to the vehicle owner up to some mile/time limit. From that I conclude Toyota is quite committed to the reputation for reliability of Prius in particular.

High reliability ratings for Prius by Consumer Reports, etc., indicate that survey respondents are generally satisfied. High resale values suggest that used car buyers (as a group) agree. Or perhaps that fuel cost savings will outweigh repair expenses? If that is the case, I would agree with them.

My philosophy on risk aversion has not changed since 2001, but more Prius information has becaome available since. So if I were buying a new Prius today (or approaching 36k miles), I would not purchase the EW. People who are especially risk-averse may still decide to do so, however.

It was never my intention to resell the car; this one is a keeper. However if someone is buying Prius with the plan to resell within the EW period, I consider this a strong argument in favor of EW purchase. Your potential buyer may not have access to all the Prius info that we see in the groups.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got it from Troy...there are just too many things on this car that if they go wrong will cost big $$$. I'm just thinking electronic gear here...so the cost is justified for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did

I bought my 7/100 warranty 100 miles before turning over 36K miles, last September. Within 2 weeks or so, I had to have the gear shifting assembly replaced, which would have been over $700, I'm told. Only one more moderate repair of any kind (actually, my driver's window is starting to make a funky noise... hmm...) and my warranty will have paid for itself.

BTW, I'll reach that 100K mark well before I get to 7 years - I have put 11K on her since September, and now stand at almost 47K... I drive a lot removing snakes from peoples' homes.. ;-)

--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.