Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an aftermarket alarm they can recommend?

When I originally ordered my Prius the salesman was actually
suggesting I buy an aftermarket alarm because the standard (package)
one was not worth the cost. I tended to agree, but now that I
actually have the car the other salesman was going on about how I
shouldn't add any aftermarket things to it, nobody will know what
they're doing with the car, and so on.

Supposedly cars are normally stolen for parts, which isn't a big
concern with a specialty car like the Prius and with the engine
immobilizer (I assume). I thought I might be safe with only the factory
stereo system, but now I'm told that airbags are a big thing
thieves like to steal, so I would feel better with an alarm to
discourage that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aftermarket alarms, paint protection packages,window etching, fuzzy dice, pinstripes, etc. represent only one thing for the dealer: Pure Profit.
Airbags are vehicle specific, Taurus or Accord bags would be worth something to a crooked body shop, but for a new Prius?
Remember, if a vehicle is targeted, a flatbed tow truck with a greased bed will defeat any alarm.
Seen the movie Fargo? "You're gonna need that rust package, these new Oldsmobiles rust out pretty bad" said William Macy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D U I said:
Aftermarket alarms, paint protection packages,window etching, fuzzy dice, pinstripes, etc. represent only one thing for the dealer: Pure Profit.
I'm not asking about buying a Toyota alarm system that would go towards dealer profit. I'm asking about a 3rd party option.

D U I said:
Airbags are vehicle specific, Taurus or Accord bags would be worth something to a crooked body shop, but for a new Prius?
Remember, if a vehicle is targeted, a flatbed tow truck with a greased bed will defeat any alarm.
That makes me feel a little better, but I still worry. I had my old car broken into 4 times for the stereo, and I don't even live in a bad neighborhood (at least it doesn't _seem_ bad). If Priuses become as popular as they seem to be heading for, their airbags or other parts may be stolen to use in other Priuses, even if they won't work in other cars (but I would also think Toyota would use the same airbags on a number of cars, so maybe a Prius bag fits in an Accord, or maybe a thief might hope it would).

As for a flatbed, I'm lucky enough to park in a stall that's around 3 tight turns, so I don't think a truck could get at the car. :p On the other hand, it's a secluded space and my car and the car next to mine have both been broken into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts