Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S.O. told me he heard or read a news story in which, with the soaring gas prices, people are selling their used Prii at a profit above what they paid new! Apparently, Kelly Blue Book quotes used prices, in some cases, above MSRP. People are selling and planning to re-purchase later when the market settles a bit. Hmmm... can they act as a hybrid cash generator??????

·
Registered
928 Posts
I saw an article like that on cnn/money today. But it bothered me that all their examples were people advertizing their used Prius for more than MSRP of a new Prius. Not one example of an actual sale. So I'm skeptical of the attempted conclusion that used Prius are selling for more than MSRP of new Prius.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I read those articles. They must be getting alotta eyeballs, because they were on both cnn.com and usatoday.com home pages.

Ow! Just twisted my arm patting myself on the back for buying my Prius last year. :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They did an interview on the radio while I was driving in... at least one dealer says he's selling used for above the original MSRP. I'm guessing that isn't on '04/'05 models, or on the equivalent of package 6, but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
What would someone have to offer you today to buy your car? $1,000 over what you paid? 2? 3? Would $5,000 catch your attention? Name you price people!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, back before the second-gen (2004) model came out, and had huge demand because of Motor Trend, I test drove a 2002, and at the time was told there would be a couple month wait, since at the time, you really ordered it from Toyota, not purchasing one from the dealer. The dealer had a used one on the lot for $1000 more than MSRP of a new one. When I pointed out the rediculousness of it, he said simply "this one is more because you can drive it off the lot now."

With the frenzy over the 2004 model, that only increased. I bought mine for $5000 over MSRP (sorry, I don't feel guilty. It was either that, a 9-12 month wait, or buy it out of state, which I didn't have the time or energy to do.) The same dealership had a used fleet model (white, NO package, not even the rear wiper,) with over 10,000 miles that they were selling for $28,000. I called back a few weeks later, and it had indeed sold for $28k.

I haven't heard of any private-party sales for more than MSRP, though. (Mostly because Prii are so prized in Portland that nobody wants to sell theirs!)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
With 26000 miles, I'd sell mine immediatly for a mere $1000 over msrp, and go back to driving my Saturn while I waited for a new 2006? to arrive.

Note, to anyone who might take me up on that offer, I will be removing all mods first ;-) No free XM for you!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
There is more to life than making a profit. 8)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
An04Prius said:
You should copywrite that. You could make a fortune. :wink:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shhhhh....

.....we can't let Isabelle hear that.....well.....I've had my eye on that Salsa red tomatoe.....i f someone offered me the right price I could turn around and....

Oh no...that would be wrong. We would never sell Isabelle.

...besides...Salsa not available with grey interior.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thomme said:
Hep said:
An04Prius said:
You should copywrite that. You could make a fortune. :wink:
I said it first! I'm gonna sue!
I offer it, at no charge, to all who wish to use it 8) ...nor do I contest anyone who claims to have said it first 8) 8).

Please spread the message.

My inspiration was Ghandi, who said:

there is more to life than increasing its speed.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Heard on the news last night (Prius talk is all over the news--- CNN, MSNBC,and 3 local stations here in Chicago) that a dealership is selling one for 39,000 and getting responses. One Illinois Congressman is pushing for extending the tax incentive past 2005. The media is really playing up hybrids. I think it's going to push up demand even more.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
There will always be a few to succumb to hype and skip the economics. Pennywise and pound foolish. Just keep track of those dealers. Toyota made the car to sell in the bottom of the 20's and actually the car isn't worth any more. It's the "gimmic" that their buying and they are not paying for the clean envireament. No ones going to put a dent in that with 100,000 cars.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'd like to see a kelly bluebook over MSRP for retail or private sale. I just refinanced for 2% lower interest, and their figures came about $6K under MSRP.

Then again, they may have not taken into account that I have BC package even though I told them it was fully equipped and provided the VIN.

But then again, I did go to Kelly myself and pretty much found the same thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Toyota made the car to sell in the bottom of the 20's and actually the car isn't worth any more."

With limited production, it's worth whatever you can get for it. :wink:

I wouldn't sell my '02, even with the ability to get a new '05 with more extras. I seem to be in the minority that think gen1>gen2.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
GreyMud said:
"Toyota made the car to sell in the bottom of the 20's and actually the car isn't worth any more."

With limited production, it's worth whatever you can get for it. :wink:

I wouldn't sell my '02, even with the ability to get a new '05 with more extras. I seem to be in the minority that think gen1>gen2.
Every generation hopes the next will exceed their own accomplishments ... and then fails to recognize it when they do.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hyperion said:
There will always be a few to succumb to hype and skip the economics. Pennywise and pound foolish. Just keep track of those dealers. Toyota made the car to sell in the bottom of the 20's and actually the car isn't worth any more. It's the "gimmic" that their buying and they are not paying for the clean envireament. No ones going to put a dent in that with 100,000 cars.
Ah yes, but the impact of that 100K hybrid "clean" cars is enormous on the culture, the product planners, politicians, general public, media, etc.

The future is here, you and I are helping make it. :D

All the elements in our culture can now say...

"they are putting their money where their mouth is, they are really willing to buy product that is environmentally friendly, even if people keep telling them they are paying a 'premium' (which I disagree with)"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts