Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always installed a hang-up cup, power supply and exterior antenna for my cell phones in the cars I've owned. I don't believe six tenths of a watt is enough power for good communications. (Reaching distant cell towers when off the beaten track.) Has anyone installed a hangup cup, power supply and exterior antenna on their Prius'?

On another topic, does anyone know where the GPS antenna is?

Thanks,
Serge

·
Registered
33 Posts
sergepopper said:
On another topic, does anyone know where the GPS antenna is?

Thanks,
Serge
I've heard its just in front of the center speaker.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not sure if you mean the 01-03 or 04-+ on my 01 the needed wires are simple to find undes the center console, the botton of which removes by removing two push to release connectors. Wireing goes easly under the carpet and the antenna connections run along the door bottom protectors that come up with just a steady pull of one hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what you mean.

Mine is an '05 What I'd like to do is install a hang-up cup cup holder as shown http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireless/s ... honeid=458
which mounts on a bracket as shown http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/indash/ ... 6568147570
After I've got those mounted I'll have to run two lines from the hang-up cup. One to a power source for recharging purposes and the second to a rooftop antenna which will be either permanent or magmount. The antenna has to be rooftop for two reasons. One being that transmission goes further with the large ground plane of the car under it and the second is that the roof shields you from the harmful RF generated by the antenna.
My question would be regarding a good power source and the ease or difficulty of running a cable up to the roof.

·
Registered
144 Posts
First the power requirments are not large, I wouldn't use the cigarette lighter though. For maebe 3 feet of wire I'd go direct to the fuse box chooseing at least a 20 amp circut. Auto parts store sell a piggy back connector that goes around the fuse pick one always hot then one switched like the radio. Doing it this way leaves no doubt that the warrenty will be violated.
Also I'm not sure about the 05 but my Prius is made of almuminum.. not a good ground plane at all I use a thru glass antenna with good results. todays cell system is made to support milliwatt hand helds. making 3 watt max power boosting unnessary and can cause trouble in tight metro areas. Sorry to get off track you can check your roof wiht a common refergirator magnet.
PS the new gigahertz range phones heve no possible biological potential for harm. These tales go back to early cell tech that used the 800 mhz range and is well known @ this freq that tissue will absorb that range of enregy

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Frizzycat666 said:
First the power requirments are not large, I wouldn't use the cigarette lighter though. For maebe 3 feet of wire I'd go direct to the fuse box chooseing at least a 20 amp circut. Auto parts store sell a piggy back connector that goes around the fuse pick one always hot then one switched like the radio. Doing it this way leaves no doubt that the warrenty will be violated.
Also I'm not sure about the 05 but my Prius is made of almuminum.. not a good ground plane at all I use a thru glass antenna with good results. todays cell system is made to support milliwatt hand helds. making 3 watt max power boosting unnessary and can cause trouble in tight metro areas. Sorry to get off track you can check your roof wiht a common refergirator magnet.
Aluminum - sure that you're not driving an Insight?

The 2004-2005 Prius frame is mostly high strength sheet steel, with some ultra high strength sheet steel in the center pillar reinforcements and roof cross members.

Only the hood (bonnet) and rear hatch is made of aluminum. (well, some under-hood engine components are aluminum, too, but...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aluminum parts

Only the hood and the hatch cover are made of aluminum. The roof and the rest of it are made of steel. BTW, I believe aluminum is a fine ground plane substance as is any metal surface.
Serge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts