Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was driving my early 2004 Prius awhile back and says that he had the car on, pulled into a parking space, then when he shifted to reverse, the car shut off. He was able to turn it on again immediately with the start button and it seemed fine. That's about all the detail I can get from him. I haven't had anything like this happen myself. Since the car is nearing 36k miles when the warranty will run out, I keep worrying this could be a sign of a bad problem that I should get fixed now, but I can't find anyone else who says they've had this happen on two prius forums or on google.

This glitch happened sometime after I took the car in to have the computer update done to prevent stalling on the freeway, as well as the 30k mile inspection. It's been a few months since then and I haven't seen any problems myself. I can't decide if I should go through the trouble of taking it back to the dealer to see if they find anything before the warranty runs out or not. Any advice, or has anyone else heard of this problem?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I haven't experience or heard of the problem. Now I have had a situation occur a few times where when I power on, it hangs at Ig-On, where the only way out was wait a minute, or power off with my foot not on the brake. Since 50P, I haven't had the problem occur. I suspect Toyota changed the power state sequence for states that are theoretically unreachable. I know they had changed the sequence between 2004 and 2005.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've never had this, but when I put the car into reverse to back into a parking spot, my wife closes her eyes and braces herself. I don't know how she and the gearshift are connected, but this seems to be very consistant.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hep said:
I've never had this, but when I put the car into reverse to back into a parking spot, my wife closes her eyes and braces herself. I don't know how she and the gearshift are connected, but this seems to be very consistant.
Now that sounds like the joke about the blind pilot. He relied on his co-pilot's screams to know when to pull up on takeoff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mrv said:
it is quite normal for the gasoline engine to turn off when you switch into reverse. Reverse is solely powered by the electric motor!
Nono, when I say it turned off when he selected reverse, I mean the whole car, all dash lights, the MFD, gas engine, electric motor, etc. Car had to be turned on again with the start button. At least, that's what he says. Worked fine after that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
KaniSDragon said:
Nono, when I say it turned off when he selected reverse, I mean the whole car, all dash lights, the MFD, gas engine, electric motor, etc. Car had to be turned on again with the start button. At least, that's what he says. Worked fine after that.

This one is easy.

Gremlins

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.