Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having mega problems with my radio,which simply cuts off and then generally stays off until, of course when I take it to the dealer when it will come back on. It will come back on for a few seconds and then cut off again. Sometimes it will come back on and stay on for a day or two before cutting off again. THe dealer's solution is to simply replace the radio which has been done twice. I got my car back last Friday with my second brand new radio and it cut off again (by Wednesday). None of the controls: on/off switch, volume control, mode (CD/radio/FM/AM), can get it to work again. I can see that something is happening when I turn on the CD and I can see that the CD is playing because the counter is working. There seems to be no pattern re: what triggers this to happen. At first, I thought it appeared that when I hit a rough bump in the road, that would get it to go off or on. One time when I had to slam on my breaks in a highway traffic situation, the radio suddenly came back on. Then one morning when I started the car the radio did not come on...no bumps involved...GO FIGURE???

Has any Prius owner had a similar problem??? If so, what did you learn caused the problem? Were you able to fix the problem, once and for all??

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mine has been fine! It's an '05 with the upgraded stereo... I have had it 3 1/2 months, and not a problem a'tall with AM, FM or CD changer.

Sounds suspisciously like a loose wire or bad connection to me. Is this a new car?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I am definitely no expert here, but is it possible that the connection to the speaker is the problem? In my traded in Jeep I had to have a speaker replaced twice because no sound came out. Upon trade in, it was out again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a problem with my radio during a week of heavy fog. It kept flickering between numbers. For example, if I had it on 97.1, it would got up to 97.3 and then back and forth. It was very annoying but seemed to stop when the weather cleared.

I know this doesn't help but I do feel your pain.

Roberta

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Need info. JBL or standard?

I'd probably not suspect speakers, it's doubtful 6-9 speakers went bad all at once.

From your description, it sounds like the head unit can be controlled, but you get no sound, is this correct? Or when the problem occurs, neither the steering wheel nor the MFD nor the front head unit switches will let you control the audio source (radio station, CD etc).

If you have JBL, and just the audio control (volume, EQ, fade, balance) is lost, sounds like the amp would be bad. The head unit was replaced so we'll rule that out. That would probably leave the MFD or the AVC. If you have NAV, does that work? Does Energy or Consumption screen work? If they do, then AVC is probably OK.

You can get to the diagnostics screen by holding down the info button, and turning on and off your taillights 3 times. There may be some old codes you can ignore. Clear the codes (hold clear about 2 or 3 seconds) and see if any return.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
...You can get to the diagnostics screen by holding down the info button, and turning on and off your taillights 3 times. There may be some old codes you can ignore. Clear the codes (hold clear about 2 or 3 seconds) and see if any return.
Dan always forgets... you have to have your right foot in the lower glove box while you do this. ALSO, before you do anything, you have to get out and kick the left front tire. And don't forget to sacrifice a chicken. THE John says you also have to run around the car counterclockwise twice.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Should trade cars with Evander... Evander's kids play RAP in the car. Now THAT is a reason for the sound system to shut off! :::shudder::: :shock:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You can get to the diagnostics screen by holding down the info button, and turning on and off your taillights 3 times. There may be some old codes you can ignore. Clear the codes (hold clear about 2 or 3 seconds) and see if any return.
So I had just finished turning my tail lights on/off 3 times and was clearing the codes, when my neighbor noticed the flashes & thought I was morse coding the "panic" signal. He rushed over and filled my Prius with foam from his extinguisher.

A passing fire truck noticed all the commotion and, sirens blasting, raced up my driveway. I was still holding the info button because I did not want to interrupt the sequence, and my foot was stuck in the glove box.

They thought I was trapped in the car and pried all four doors off with the jaws of life before I could get enough foam out of my face to say something.

The firemen had read some bulletin about disabling Hybrid cars in a fire or accident, so they tore apart everything that was orange under the hood.

Hearing the siren on the driveway, SO bear ran out of the house, tripped over the dog, fell and broke her collarbone, landing on the dog and injuring him so severely he had to be put down.

After the confusion died down, everyone apologized...

But now...the radio works just great :D

Above is a work of fiction & satire. It is for amusement only. It is not to be taken literally. Although real product, features, city, location and company names are sometime used, any relationship to the real products, cities, locations, companies is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sanny said:
Should trade cars with Evander... Evander's kids play RAP in the car. Now THAT is a reason for the sound system to shut off! :::shudder::: :shock:
Maybe that's why my Jeep's speaker went out so often! Does RAP affect mileage too? I haven't hit 50mpg yet.

·
Registered
919 Posts
An04Prius said:
DanMan32 said:
So I had just finished turning my tail lights on/off 3 times and was clearing the codes, when my neighbor noticed the flashes & thought I was morse coding the "panic" signal. He rushed over and filled my Prius with foam from his extinguisher.

A passing fire truck noticed all the commotion and, sirens blasting, raced up my driveway. I was still holding the info button because I did not want to interrupt the sequence, and my foot was stuck in the glove box.

They thought I was trapped in the car and pried all four doors off with the jaws of life before I could get enough foam out of my face to say something.

The firemen had read some bulletin about disabling Hybrid cars in a fire or accident, so they tore apart everything that was orange under the hood.

Hearing the siren on the driveway, SO bear ran out of the house, tripped over the dog, fell and broke her collarbone, landing on the dog and injuring him so severely he had to be put down.

After the confusion died down, everyone apologized...

But now...the radio works just great :D
Dan, you're unbelievably knowledgeable. An04, what creativity! I have a great time reading both of your posts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This manatee bows down in awe at the pen (or rather, keyboard) of The Bear.

Actually, it is hard to bow down. I think I strained something laughing. I fear the neighbors have called the little men in the white coats again...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
evander said:
Dan, you're unbelievably knowledgeable. An04, what creativity! I have a great time reading both of your posts.
That is very nice of you...thanks. :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sanny said:
DanMan32 said:
...You can get to the diagnostics screen by holding down the info button, and turning on and off your taillights 3 times. There may be some old codes you can ignore. Clear the codes (hold clear about 2 or 3 seconds) and see if any return.
Dan always forgets... you have to have your right foot in the lower glove box while you do this. ALSO, before you do anything, you have to get out and kick the left front tire. And don't forget to sacrifice a chicken. THE John says you also have to run around the car counterclockwise twice.
You're right Sanny, I did forget. Please forgive me.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You're right Sanny, I did forget. Please forgive me.
S'ok, Dan. Recognizing there's a problem is half of the cure! :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Victor said:
Sanny said:
THE John says you also have to run around the car counterclockwise twice.
Naked at midnight dont forget :wink:
Honey, that's the ONLY time I'd run around the car naked! With no moon (in the sky). ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Going back to the original question, my radio also started cutting out. I did a clr mem from the diagnosie menu and since then its been ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts