Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
have any of you ever experienced any negative attention driving the prius? Allow me to explain.

Here in Texas, there are lots of back-woods hick-types who see the Prius as some kind of political statement. (for me, it sort of is).

Anyway, I wonder if anyone's been cut off on highways, flipped off or other negative vibes?

My buddy had to take a John Kerry sticker off his car last year because suvs kept trying to run him off the road and key his car and stuff...
yeah, people in dallas take their politics too far...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Yup. Tailgating, stares when being passed, occasional cutting. Usually if they pass me when I'm in the Camry, they'll just pass but for some reason, a Prius driver needs to be examined when passed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I've had no negative responses to my driving a Prius over the last year and a half --- just a few positive ones and questions from strangers. However, yesterday as I pulled into a parking lot at my local marina some dude wearing a classic cowboy hat and driving a shiny chromed up version of a Hummer pulled into the parking slot directly ahead of me.

I was immediately pissed off by his conspicuous and, to me, obnoxious consumption.

Since gas just hit $2.74/gal in my town I was tempted to give him a personalized "French salute" but the threat of his possibly hidden WMD's dissuaded me. I just got out of my Prius, tapped the lock button and avoided eye contact with the jerk.

IMO#1, this country (US of A) has it's head in the sand regarding energy consumption! A Toyota Prius may not be the solution but it is a beginning.

IMO#2, Hummer owners are neanderthals. One on one in a neutral environment I'm willing to get in their face. Out in the wild they are something to be feared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Chas said:
I've had no negative responses to my driving a Prius over the last year and a half
Seattle, WA is probably the most humane and progressive city in the USA so I'd be surprised if you did get negative reaction to your Prius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, many folks in dallas are from California.

In fact, many texans seem to be california transplants. they sell their tiny california home for 800,000 and come here and buy mansions with the profit.....


i wish i could live in california, actually! i want beaches, or san francisco weather. i just don't want to pay $900,000 for a 700 sq. ft. squat...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
No problems what so ever for me. I live in Missouri (read red-state), and have not had a dirty look, negative glance, middle finger, or head shake. No cut-offs, tail-gating or any form of political road rage. I do get some "what kind of car is that?" looks, and always get a nice smile or wave from another Prius driver if I am at a light or something.

I am actually a moderate-conservative that believes that also means we should conserve our natural resources. That, and spending half of the money it took to drive my Jeep around drove me to buy my Prius. I don't belittle Hummer drivers, I just assume they had the money to spend on their status symbol, and the oceans of gas it takes to keep it running. I think that as the gas prices get higher and your average person finally realizes that oil supply is not keeping up with world demand, that attitudes and buying decisions will shift in the right direction. That shift has already started, with SUV sales dropping fast.

I am not opposed to legislation that makes it beneficial to drive a fuel conservative vehicle, or makes it more expensive to drive a gas hog, but let the consumer decide what is in his best interest. I feel that it is in our national interest to reduce or eliminate our dependence on foreign oil, so some form of national policy should be enacted (beyond the latest energy bill). There are a lot more folks that will desire to save money, and this will naturally drive the auto makers to move fast in the right direction.

In the mean time, I am sure that there are many SUV'ers that are starting to drool over our Prii. Soon they will find themselves at a Toyota dealer and find out what we know....there really is no compromise by switching to a car that has all of the room, peppiness and technology as our cars do. You just save a bunch of money, and feel real good about the decision you made on many levels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I am totally in agreement with Shoe. I have a 1982 CJ7 Renegade, which I restored. I drive it 2000 miles per year. When I drive the Pruis, sometimes I get some looks, have been cut off a few times, and people pass me like I am an inferior life form. When I drive my Jeep, nobody cuts me off; and I drive them both in the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Funny how the supposed friendly, courteous Canada is getting the most negative responses :roll: Must be the gas price up here lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
heh. If you're worried about it, put a Bush sticker on, and a 'Support our troops - use less foreign oil' sticker. They'll think you're one of the Neo-Cons who drives a Prius. (Do some Google-ing, Priuses are popular with Neo-Cons in DC.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Usually if I pass in front of an SUV driver, they will take it as an insult and switch out of the lane and speed up to try and cut me off for getting ahead of them. What I like to do is change lanes when they're in mid-switch.

Also, when I drive through LA and the OC, people seem to think the carpool lane is the 90mph zone. Many of them don't seem to understand the concept of the double double solid yellow lines (yes, 4 painted lines) WITH the solid white line (for 5 lines total), and they pass in and out to cut people off.
Anyway, for those that DO understand that they are not to cross the line, I often get highbeamed at night. Thanks to the auto-dimming rearview mirror, I can smile as I drive the same constant speed at which I was driving before they started riding my bumper.

But yeah... I was wondering if anybody else got negative attention, too. Cause it seemed that people in BMWs and SUVs seem to want to cut me off a lot more often than when I drove a non-hybrid Civic. Or am I only noticing more this because I am making more of an effort to notice it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
We've had no negative responses to our Prius. I do get amused over John Kerry sitckers, but never a thought about running the person off the road. Now, if I were to spot John Kerry, I might try to run HIM off the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Re: Anyone experience any NEGATIVE attention driving the Pri

idealflaw said:
hey guys,
have any of you ever experienced any negative attention driving the prius? Allow me to explain.

Here in Texas, there are lots of back-woods hick-types who see the Prius as some kind of political statement. (for me, it sort of is).

Anyway, I wonder if anyone's been cut off on highways, flipped off or other negative vibes?

My buddy had to take a John Kerry sticker off his car last year because suvs kept trying to run him off the road and key his car and stuff...
yeah, people in dallas take their politics too far...

Not while driving, but I came out to my car (in a parking lot), to find that someone had ...... grossly SPIT - Green Gross Nasty, clear your throat - SPIT all over my car - - - all the way down the driver side and across the back - 7 or 8 places YUK ! ! !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Shoe said:
No problems what so ever for me. I live in Missouri (read red-state), and have not had a dirty look, negative glance, middle finger, or head shake. No cut-offs, tail-gating or any form of political road rage. I do get some "what kind of car is that?" looks, and always get a nice smile or wave from another Prius driver if I am at a light or something.

I am actually a moderate-conservative that believes that also means we should conserve our natural resources. That, and spending half of the money it took to drive my Jeep around drove me to buy my Prius. I don't belittle Hummer drivers, I just assume they had the money to spend on their status symbol, and the oceans of gas it takes to keep it running. I think that as the gas prices get higher and your average person finally realizes that oil supply is not keeping up with world demand, that attitudes and buying decisions will shift in the right direction. That shift has already started, with SUV sales dropping fast.

I am not opposed to legislation that makes it beneficial to drive a fuel conservative vehicle, or makes it more expensive to drive a gas hog, but let the consumer decide what is in his best interest. I feel that it is in our national interest to reduce or eliminate our dependence on foreign oil, so some form of national policy should be enacted (beyond the latest energy bill). There are a lot more folks that will desire to save money, and this will naturally drive the auto makers to move fast in the right direction.

In the mean time, I am sure that there are many SUV'ers that are starting to drool over our Prii. Soon they will find themselves at a Toyota dealer and find out what we know....there really is no compromise by switching to a car that has all of the room, peppiness and technology as our cars do. You just save a bunch of money, and feel real good about the decision you made on many levels.
Excellent post, Shoe.

I live in a small, rural middle TN town where the pickup and SUV are kings of the road. But all I've received has been courteous curiosity. Strangers come up to me all the time to ask questions about how it drives, mileage, etc. and, of course, I'm always happy to brag about Phoebe. Since I got her at the end of May I've seen two other Prii in town so good news travels even through ******* territory. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
idealflaw said:
it's amazing how many people are born with small penises...
Yea, and they're all male. Seriously, no problems here. Drivers aren't even particularly curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Chas said:
I've had no negative responses to my driving a Prius over the last year and a half --- just a few positive ones and questions from strangers. .....IMO#2, Hummer owners are neanderthals. One on one in a neutral environment I'm willing to get in their face. Out in the wild they are something to be feared.
People aren't prejudging you by the car you drive, but you are willing to prejudge them?

And you call them neaderthals... :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top