Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting for over a year now for the right color and package to come in, I decided to check out Toyota's Scion line of vehicles. I liked the xB a lot. Then I got a letter from Toyota telling me that I could take off $700 if I bought another Toyota vehicle instead of the Prius. Their way of saying 'thanks for waiting', I guess. Unfortunately, even though my Scion would be registered as a Toyota vehicle by my DMV and my insurance company, they won't apply the credit to any Scion or Lexus. This is not stated in the letter anywhere. I can understand the Lexus part in that they are sold through separate dealerships, but the Scion is under the same roof as Toyota. Even their VINs start with the Toyota letter. I called the Toyota Customer Experience line (nice euphamism), and my experience wasn't very rewarding. Good thing I'm not a lawyer. Anyone else in this scenario? I'd really like to buy the xB, and the $700 can buy a bunch of options for it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If it says Toyota, I would say you are limited to a Toyota, not Toyota Manufacturing Company product.

It is a gift, if you don't want to abide by their rules, then don't use it. They didn't have to send it to you. And now you are busting their balls about it? And talking about suing. Next time they won't offer anything.

Spike

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you considered going out of state? I did quite well with that strategy. Unless you are a avid fly fisher person or hunter I will not suggest the dealer I worked with. If you are then let me know I will set you up with the trip of your life and a rather long drive home.

·
Registered
623 Posts
People who ordered way back in early March or before had a reasonable expectation of getting a car before the prices went up. So Toyota decided to issue the coupon to lock in the lower price. When the demand still had not been met as the 2005 model year approached, and another price increase with it, they decided to extend that original price. Folks who had waited that long, Toyota decided, were being so loyal they deserved it. Then, as an afterthought, they decided to let you use that $700 discount on certain selected vehicles instead, if you were finally tired of waiting.

This is a gift, which they were under no obligation to offer. You have no legal grounds for demanding that they extend the list of cars they offer it on. (Though I'm kind of surprised they don't. They sell a car; they give a discount; it hardly seems to matter what car you buy... but the call is theirs.)

You've been waiting for over a year??? Are you sure the pkg you want is even offered in your region? Not all pkgs are offered in all regions. You may have been waiting for a car that simply is not available where you are. The waiting lists were just not that long a year ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts