Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 04 Prius, and when I called the dealer they were charging a ridiculous amount of money for the 05 DVD. Would anyone be able to make me a copy? I'll buy the copy from you. I do alot of deliveries for my business and having a current navigation dvd is crucial. I have a dvd burner if anyone is willing to send me their disc. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
1. Copying the dvd is illegal and should not be discussed here.
2. If it's for your business, you can write it off your income tax.
3. How much is a rediculous amount of money?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not really a 2004 vs 2005 DVD. I am aware of at least 4 different versions in 2004 Prius models. These DVDs are constantly being updated, so I doubt a replacement will be current for more than 4 or 5 months anyway. If you don't see any issues with the version you have, I wouldn't worry.

Unfortunately in my area of use, the NAV is missing some important roads and any trip going SE directs me to a nonexistent section of a major road called Apex Peakway.

A better question would be if anyone knows the cheapest legal means of gettting an update? Would a Toyota discount or update be called for if the current DVD significantly comprises the NAV system due to outdated info?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
melgish said:
It's not the copying that's illegal. It's the distribution and/or exchange of money. ("Fair Use" says you can make a backup copy of any copyrighted material you own, and a lawsuit even had a judge rule that fair use overrides the DMCA.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
ehurtley said:
It's not the copying that's illegal. It's the distribution and/or exchange of money. ("Fair Use" says you can make a backup copy of any copyrighted material you own, and a lawsuit even had a judge rule that fair use overrides the DMCA.)
Fair enough argument, however he did come right out and say "Would anyone be able to make me a copy? I'll buy the copy from you" which pretty much leaves out any Fair Use argument that could be made.

Not that I care one way or another what he does, but it's really bad form to use a public forum to ...uh... search for an accomplice? No good can come of it.

Now, all that said. WHO makes the DVD? It seems to me the manufacturer, if it's not Toyota, might offer it directly cheaper than Toyota would...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so I was a blunt about it. i think of it as my protest for such an astronomical price. besides, i use it daily to make deliveries and for some reason, they got my home street swapped with the next street over. jeez, copy and paste anyone? How 'bout some QC!

if selling me a copy is an issue...make me a backup copy, don't charge me, and allow me to use it on a trial basis so that I may test it out! :D

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
ehurtley said:
melgish said:
Actually, fair use allows for the copying for a personal backup. Distribution, even if its for free, is illegal. If you don't agree, tell that to the people being sued for sharing MP3's and movies.

First off, how much is Toyota asking for the DVD, and what version number? I tried to inquire of parts, and they didn't have the latest, nor could they get it, and I was the 2nd person to ask that day.
Last I heard it was $250, and the latest version was 4.1. Mine's 3.3 in my August '04. One known 'defect' in data is that the NAV thinks there is a N/S street ending at my E/W street, when in actuality, it ends on the north side of the main road parallel to, and just north of, my street.
Also found the addresses are skewed by about 1 block off. Sometimes that means Ladybug has me turn right instead of left to get to the address.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The '04 DVD is missing a bunch of the roads out where I live - it looks like I'm driving through the forest for the first five miles of my journey everyday. Heck, my dealer's store isn't even in the database. Seems to me that the updated DVD shouldn't cost existing owners nearly as much as if they were buying it brand new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i forgot how much the dealers said the prius was, so I called them. The prius for the current navigation dvd is $300! You've got to be joking.

I believe the main reason mp3's are illegally downloaded is due to the outrageous costs of albums considering only 1-2 songs are good.

I can easily see the same thing happening with these navigation discs at this price.

I do wish they had some sort of upgrade pricing. That is just way too much cash

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
jaguaraja, I was pondering your dilema on the way home, and I believe I've come up with a viable solution.

1. figure out what version you are currently on
2. find someone with an *older* version than you have
3. offer them your current DVD for say.... 1/3 the cost of the latest upgrade.
4. write off the full $300 from you income. this is good for about another $100 dependning on your tax bracket...

This way you'd end up getting yours for $100, and the guy who buys your old one gets theirs for $100. Everybody's happy, and you don't have to break any laws.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you melgish for thinking about my situation. I take it that you agree that $300 is an obscene price.

I will definitely give it consideration, I will check what version I have. I do highly doubt however that anyone has an older version than me though.

As an alternate option, if anyone is willing and has a '05 prius. you could definitely make a killing selling the new navigation disc on ebay. You could technically make unlimited copies.

I want to thank you again melgish for thinking about the best legal route. I look towards the prius community to help each other out to the point where we can all make new dvd versions available to all in the forum.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'd call it steep, yes. BTW, I've got 03.3 myself.

On the other hand, consider the value of the updated navigation data. Since I got my Prius in August, mine has proven that I made the right decision to go with package #9 twice.

The first time was when my (then hospitalized) wife called to say she was being transferred from one hospital to another. On top of all my other worries that day, the one thing I didn't need to worry about was where that hospital was, and how to get there. My Prius knew the way, so I didn't have to.

The second time was only 9 days later when we were evacuating for hurricane Francis. Using the navigation we took the 'blue highways' from the Ga border all the way into Atlanta, and completely avoided the 15 MPH traffic on I-75. We did about 60 MPH the whole distance.

All that said, I'll probably skip a version or two before I upgrade, unless I can find a better price than the dealer offers. I can't imagine there being too much difference from one version to the next that would effect me, but eventually I'll want to know where all the new stuff is :)

BTW, does anyone know if WIFI Hot-Spots will ever be a POI?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i called toyota corp. They are not allowed to release the info on who the manufacturer of the navigation dvd is. Is as listed as being internal information only and not available to the public.

figures...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2005 that I picked up last friday has version 4.2 So far it has seened to be very accurate here in central Florida. (How much can you see in 3 days?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I disagree that $300 is an obscene amount for the DVD. I have heard that Lexus dealers ask for $600 for the DVD for the Lexus!
(If that is true and they are the same DVD, Lexus owners should buy theirs at a Toyota dealer!)

Think of the amount of work that has to be done to figure out all the roads that have changed in the US!
Then think of the number of Prius owners that have the DVD navigation and subtract all the ones that don't want to upgrade...

Still think that $300 is too much? :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can tell you that the upgrade dvd is out. The only problem is it is only 4.1. New vehicles are being shipped with version 4.2 but an upgrade to 4.2 from what I read of a very vague bulletin put out by Toyota is a few months off.

I know what you are thinking... what if I needed to replace a defective 4.2 dvd? They have thought of that also. Here's a quote.

"Should you need to replace the CY ’04 DVD due to a warrantable condition, the following part numbers
must be listed as ORIGINAL PART NUMBERS on the warranty claim:
• Matrix: 86807-12050
• All other Toyotas: 86807-12013

9. Warranty parts retention and recovery
Any DVD replaced under warranty must be retained under the warranty parts recovery program.

100% of these
DVDs will be requested for return.

I do not know what the secret is.
The individual that can clarify this for me is off today and Friday. I will have a better idea of what and when on Monday.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey toyotapartsnow

if you can get the disc at a much (and I mean much) more reasonable price. I'd buy it from you.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
jaguaraja said:
hey toyotapartsnow

if you can get the disc at a much (and I mean much) more reasonable price. I'd buy it from you.

Keep us updated!
The price will not be much lower. Lets just say I am trying to keep my selling price around $210.00 to $215.00. Cost is a little over $200.00, plus we are charged 2nd day air shipping to boot.

So with that in mind, whenever the dvd becomes available, the only way you are going to get it at a more reasonable price is by buying from someone who has bought it from Toyota and burned a few copies to resell... I like my job so I will not be that person :)

I will keep you updated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts