Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the DMV today but they said that they didn't have access to that information (who would have it then?). The rep gave me another number (916 area code) to call but hung up before I could ask whose it was. I'm going to call it tomorrow but has anybody gotten their decal recently and if so, what number are they up to? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read from newspaper last week. It was at 36xxx. I would bet on about 40K now. The column also projected the end of quota in March/2006 timeframe. Good luck. Remember, even with stickers, you CAN'T drive solo on HOV lanes of local expressways. Only federal-funded state freeways.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I thought it was state law that allowed solo HOV driving, but had to be suspended pending federal aproval for the fed funded roads?
If it weren't for the fact that the feds funded most HOV roads, California could have done what they wanted without fed aproval.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ceric said:
Remember, even with stickers, you CAN'T drive solo on HOV lanes of local expressways. Only federal-funded state freeways.
Yeah...they are trying to fix this, but it will probably be 2007 before the law is revised.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Anybody know

I haven't seen anything in the published law or in any articles about it that mentions "local expressways" or restrictions to federally funded highways. I believe that you can use any lane restricted to carpools, including those on freeway onramps, as long as you have the access stickers. DanMan is correct that the state passed a law allowing hybrid use of HOV lanes, pending federal approval because the federal government put up money for the construction of HOV lanes.
I would sure fight any citation issued under any such ambiguous law, if there is such a provision in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From the San Jose Mercury News Mr. Roadshow column on 11/14/2005

Hybrid owners, I have bad news: No. Due to an oversight, hybrid owners -- for now -- with carpool stickers cannot drive solo in diamond lanes on Montague, San Tomas, Lawrence, Central and Capitol expressways. Legislation permitting this on state highways does not refer to carpool lanes set up by a local agency, such as the county. Local officials will seek legislation next year to correct this silly oversight, but it could be 2007 before the change occurs. In the meantime, Dan-the-County-Man says the California Highway Patrol will enforce the hybrid ban on our expressways: "So, knowing that, it would be helpful for you to make that information known to avoid a lot of tickets by confused hybrid owners.''
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 162737.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
HOV Sticker Current Number Issued

I recieved my CA HOV sticker on 11/18/05 with an issue date of 11/15/05. I am sticker HE029XXX. Seems odd as I heard they were further along than this. Maybe they issue out in batches for each clerk/office/dept to use up, so somebody could get one lower or higher than mine on the same date

1 - 8 of 8 Posts