Toyota Prius Forum banner

Any X Saab owners out there?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ken S 
#1 ·
Hello All,

It's my first time checking in.I was just wondering if there were any of you out there that switched from a Saab.Back in March of 2002 My 1988,9000T was going to fail inspection because of some rust and I started shopping for a new car.The 88 was a 5 speed and I loved the instant MPG counter,it was very accurate and since I started driving a car back in 78 I have always kept a gas milage log,its just something I have got used to doing and once a year I do a bunch of figuring like cost per mile and total milage etc.The 9000 I drove was a hatchback and this was very handy.The first Prius I test drove was a Beautiful Silvery bronze color,I decided not to buy it because it had 8K miles and the dealer wanted full price and I figured everyone must have been beating it to check its performance.The biggest turn off for me was the lack of the split folding rear seats and the very small trunk so I opted for a 9/5 Automatic.I must say the MPG's of the Saab disapointed me.Not to mention the computer for MPG was way off.And knowing my driving habits and the sticker posts 23/29 MPG I figured I'd be in the low to mid 30 mpg's because the 9000 was rated in the mid 20 mpg's and I would coast and go into 5th gear as soon as I could and could get 29 to 31 mpg's at times! So heck I figured a car like the 9/5 was as conservativly rated as my old one right? wrongo,I'm lucky to get 30 on the highway and my winter comute has barely been able to average 26 Mpg.Not to mention a horrible time at the dealer this past Monday.So.. I decided to check out a Honda Civic Hybrid, this car was alot of FUN to drive but I was disapointed with the lack of power and split rear seats and the tiny trunk.But I like the look of the Newer Prius and I will probably by one next month.So I set out to look for forums on google and presto I am here.I am currently a member of Saab net and these forums are very handy at finding out problems vehicles have and to keep dealers inline the more people that read these forums the better the voice we have! So I am here to introduce myself.I read the first 5 posts and one of them regarded fuel MPG stats so I felt right at home sounds like you all make a game out of saving fuel and that sounds like a fun group to hang out with.
I was wondering if anyone has any regrets or feedback if they had a car similar to mine.I've been wondering if I'd miss my car if I traded and what better folks to ask.Thanks in advance!
Regards,Ed 2001 SAAB 9/5 Linear Auto

See less See more
#2 ·
Do check back often and check PriusChat too! http://www.priuschat.com These two sites have lots of people that are willing to help and share information!

As for the mileage game =). With a hybrid like this, you gotta have mileage figures to put a smile on your face when you drive past gas stations and walk past colleagues complaining about the price of premium fuel for their vehicle.

I'm not a previous Saab owner (though I love their cars) so I can't answer that part of your question. But some have missed their power, heated leather seats (of which all but power-operation can be added as aftermarket/dealer options). With the quirkiness of Saab's design, you'll probably like the Prius. The hatchback design should neatly fill in the Saab's role (not sure if your 9-5 is the sedan or wagon).

#3 ·
I dumped my 2001 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible to buy the Prius. In some regards it was a nice car, but I had a bunch of serious problems with the convertible top, crappy dealers in SE Florida and no support from Saab USA. So, right before the warranty ended I pulled the ripcord and gave the Prius a try. Sure it doesn't have the power, but the MPG is twice that of the Saab and it has plenty of room and storage space. It's nice to have real, accessible storage space and cup holders near the driver...and...an arm rest! whoa!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.