Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any of you Prius owners out there are surfers. I would like to know if anyone has a surfboard rack on their Prius? Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Unless you are a longboarder, you might fit it entirely inside, with half the back folded, and the front passenger seat also flat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just started surfing this summer. I plan on buying my own board very soon! I was wondering the same thing about this. Im sure we could work something out, either having it in the inside of the car or some kind of roof-rack from Thule or the like. When I do find out, I will definitely let you guys know!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Both these boards were around 6'-6"
If you only have urself or just 2 peeps in the vehicle you can turn down the front seat flat and probably get a 9' board in with the tail sticking out a bit.....then just bungie shut.

Last nite we had 2 boards around 5'-10" and we're able to completely shut the hatch and have 3 peeps in the P*.....

Brian.....must kinda suck living in Orange when you wanna surf?

·
Registered
93 Posts
EJ23 said:
I'm wondering if any of you Prius owners out there are surfers. I would like to know if anyone has a surfboard rack on their Prius? Let me know. Thanks!
I use a soft rack I got from Wetsand.com:
http://www.wetsand.com/store/product.as ... &CatId=159

They work really well, just remember to twist the straps or they will humm.

Bob

·
Registered
319 Posts
haha, are you serious? I think the 20 min drive down the 55 freeway kinda gets old but when I get to the beach it makes all the difference! ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
bshef said:
Brian.....must kinda suck living in Orange when you wanna surf?

Sure beats living in Kansas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
the link to the soft roofrack is no longer valid...but still not sure what you mean by a soft roofrack.

I plan to use my Prius to go surfing here in TX, but I use a fun board, so need a rack...

Any advice???

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jealous!

Hey I LOVE those pics of the prius with the boards sticking out. What beautiful scenery!!! I printed the pics cause it's my dream come true. I live in IL and it's hard to come by anything surf related. For all of you landlocked surfers like me you might be intrested in the type of board I have... It's called an ULI board and it is inflateable. Please don't laugh... It is so much easier to travel with, folds up into a duffle bag and comes with an air pump. I haven't taken it to HI but it works just fine for the great lakes. Doesn't take up much room in the Prius either. Thanks for all your advice on the surf rack subject! I'm stoked to see Prius drivers are also surfers! SWEET! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
patrickcctx said:
the link to the soft roofrack is no longer valid...but still not sure what you mean by a soft roofrack.

I plan to use my Prius to go surfing here in TX, but I use a fun board, so need a rack...
It appears Wet Sand no longer sells that soft rack. Here is another one:
http://www.wetsand.com/store/product.as ... &CatId=159

I attach a 9'2" long board and short board to my soft rack for the drive to Atlantic City and have had no problems.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
ALOHA!
I'm a newbie to this site. I have a question for you surfers. I'm getting a '14 Prius L/B 2 next week. Where do you put your smart key, when you go for a surf? I was told to use a realtor lock box locked to the rear tow hitch under the rear bumper. Then someone else said car will recognize your key and the doors won't lock, being that it's a smart key. Not sure what to do. Any solutions?
Thanks and ALOHA in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ALOHA!
I'm a newbie to this site. I have a question for you surfers. I'm getting a '14 Prius L/B 2 next week. Where do you put your smart key, when you go for a surf? I was told to use a realtor lock box locked to the rear tow hitch under the rear bumper. Then someone else said car will recognize your key and the doors won't lock, being that it's a smart key. Not sure what to do. Any solutions?
Thanks and ALOHA in advance.
I have been surfing and kitesurfing for >40y and >12y, respectively. When I recently got my Prius v I thought I was seriously screwed (since I would not be able to lock the doors if the FOB was anywhere near the car (we surfers often put the keys in the wheel well (duh, any crook who hangs out near the beach knows this spot anyway) and also FOB near/in car would allow car to be started and stolen.

Two steps will allow me to surf from my Prius: 1) I will remove the physical key and take it with me into the water to lock & get back into the car and 2) place the FOB into a 'half aluminum can' (cut aluminum soda can in half and then nest the 2 halves with the FOB inside). This second step allows 1) the FOB to stay safely in the car, 2) allows locking the car with physical "door only' key and 3) prevents someone who gets into the car from starting the car (assuming they don't take FOB out of the aluminum can. Aluminum foil may work but seems less reliable.

Alternatively, a friend who works as an engineer for a car maker said there are already dead or weak spots inside the car where the FOB may not work well and in these spots aluminum foil should be sufficient to allow creating a permanent FOB stash spot closing doors and to prevent starting the car.

Prius v is large enough for a 10' surfboard inside (easily a 9'0" or 9'6").

Cowabunga

1 - 15 of 15 Posts