Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of any modifications that will increase the MPG on a prius? i wanted to know who gets the highest mpg out of the community, please post your average mpg. I am thinking of purchasing a few hybrids, so i kinda want to know what im getting into.

I was thinking like if there were cat back kits or cold air intakes that might bump up the mpg 1 or 2 points? :D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You can do the "Flintstone" mod where you cut holes in the floor and use your feet for added power. Obviously I'm just joking here. I couldn't resist.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Not sure this a modification per se, but here's a post from Feb. from someone in Tenn. who's tire pressure is extreme and gets great mileage. Obviously, this is not an endorsement by Toyota.

Chris Cording said:
I run 58 front/56 back on both of our Priuses (OEM Goodyear Integrity tires with max 44 psi cold inflation pressure), but still get more tire wear on the edge than center. Neither my wife nor I corner aggressively.

In addition, the outside edge of the front tires wear significantly more than the inside edge as measured with a dial indicator.

The ride is a little more harsh at that pressure, but steering feels less "drifty". And of course, the gas mileage is great with high pressure. (Never less than 55 mpg for the last 10,000 miles on the MFD).

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
reduce as much weight as possible.....

-Pull out all the seats cept the drivers seat.......
-replace the rear hatch and front hood with light-weight carbon fiber......
-Lose 50 pounds.....
-never use a full tank of gas......

after all that.....you might gain oh.....4 mpg?
:wink:

·
Registered
582 Posts
highest mpg

Where is the highest-elevation gas station in the US: Leadville, Colorado? Start from there and drive towards sea level, choosing roads with low speed limits. Bet you'll get pretty far.

DAS

·
Registered
310 Posts
Start at the top of a big hill and ......

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
fill your tires and cabin with helium.
wax all external surfaces with pure teflon mixed 10:1 with pixie dust.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well for winter, I put in an engine block heater. I get about 6 mpg increase, plus slightly faster cabin heat up. Haven't tried it as it gets warmer. Might be interesting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone make Cold air inakes or headers, trottle body spacers? anything of that nature? i remember i got about 2-3 mpg off my work truck when i did that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
heh. Project TL, should've known engine mods would be in order :lol:

Anyway, yeah

- block heater
- warm front or some sort of wind breaker behind the grille. Just make sure to monitor the temperature so that you don't overheat
- lose the spare tyre?
- heck, strip the whole trunk of the bins and stuff
- switch seats?
:idea: learn how to drive a hybrid properly
- don't make short trips
- minimise A/C or heat use

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
My only thought would be that a company that works as hard at acheiving a goal as Toyota has done with the Prius (wind tunnel testing the body design, fabricating the hood and trunk hatch of light metals, designing plastic covers for the attractive cast wheels to eliminate drag, supplying a coolant reservoir to keep engine coolant warm ect, ect:) would not have added an air heating element for the engine if it was in any way "worth it." The principal is not rocket science.

·
Registered
466 Posts
hyperion said:
My only thought would be that a company that works as hard at acheiving a goal as Toyota has done with the Prius (wind tunnel testing the body design, fabricating the hood and trunk hatch of light metals, designing plastic covers for the attractive cast wheels to eliminate drag, supplying a coolant reservoir to keep engine coolant warm ect, ect:)
I agree.
would not have added an air heating element for the engine if it was in any way "worth it."
The EPA test is done under 68-86 ºF.
http://www.fueleconomy.org/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

A company need not care about intake air temp under such test environment.
However, in the real world, a mileage enthusiast cares.
The principal is not rocket science.
The principal is "Laws of Boyle and Charles".

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Yes, ... but,..... I believe Toyota was going for the highest milage figures possible for advertising purposes along with the lowest emissions for the same reason. Usually when you change one componant in a computers reading something else is automatically changed.
I'm sure you will find the heating of the air intake being used in most all other Toyota models with standard cycle engines just as it is used normally in my 82 Chevy pick-up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats pretty interesting because usually people go for colder air so you increase the hp, then you dont have to put in as much gas to get the same hp, thus less gas usage. does this not apply to hybrids? I know for sure it works on my work trucks. i have cold air intakes on all of them. but then again. they are poorly engineered.

·
Registered
466 Posts
project_Tl said:
thats pretty interesting because usually people go for colder air so you increase the hp, then you dont have to put in as much gas to get the same hp, thus less gas usage. does this not apply to hybrids?
colder air -> increase the hp -> increase fuel usage -> lower mileage
A power is not free. :)

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts