Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
tdi

Are TDI's available in California? My partner has a Jetta TDI running on biodiesel and is probably cleaner than my Prius and gets about the same mileage. TDI's are more easily had in Seattle than Prii, but not so that you can walk in off the street and pick one up.
California with it's much stricter laws, might restrict diesels until we get the cleaner diesel fuel in 2006. What they should do is subsidize bio diesel.
Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
Are we sure a TDI purchased in the US is cleaner than a Prius while running biodiesel? My understanding is that the high sulphur in US diesel fuel prevents VW from using the more efficient emission control system (catalytic converters and particulate filters) that makes the TDI tolerably clean. Without these, I think the TDI, even running biodiesel, puts out huge amounts of allergy causing particulates (soot) whenever the load changes on the engine. But I haven't checked in a few years.

Also, what's the usual solution to the gelling problem of biodiesel in cold weather? Does the US version of the TDI come with some sort of fuel preheating system? I guess this wouldn't matter on the west coast.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know with biodiesel in cold weathers, you have a tank heater. That way it will be nice and liquidy all the way to the engine.

As for the other concerns. biodiesel cuts out a lot of the bad "ingredients" which cause normal diesel to be soo bad. Here's a webpage that gives some info about biodiesel. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html While there are many pages out there, i feel this one gives some better info than others.

3 Months Wait for my prius.. till then, it's 15mpg or was that 15 gallons per mile... can never tell with that car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
RSnyder said:
Are we sure a TDI purchased in the US is cleaner than a Prius while running biodiesel? My understanding is that the high sulphur in US diesel fuel prevents VW from using the more efficient emission control system (catalytic converters and particulate filters) that makes the TDI tolerably clean. Without these, I think the TDI, even running biodiesel, puts out huge amounts of allergy causing particulates (soot) whenever the load changes on the engine. But I haven't checked in a few years.
Biodiesel has no sulfur, so less particulate emissions than regular diesel. However, that doesn't help reduce the NOx emissions, unless the car is fitted with a more efficient emissions control system that reduces NOx emissions more (this won't be done for on-road diesel engines in the US until 2007, when ultra low sulfur diesel fuel for on-road use is required -- kind of like how catalytic converters for gasoline engines did not appear until 1975, when unleaded gasoline became available). NOx is the main problem for diesel engine cars under CARB emissions limits; although diesel fuel in California is considerably lower in sulfur than in other states, car companies cannot really depend on that, since California registered cars may be driven out of state on trips or whatever. The good news for diesel engines is that they tend to produce very low amonts of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions, the two main problem areas for gasoline engines.

But note that any car meeting Tier I or better (1998-2003) or Tier II or better (2004+) emissions standards is still quite clean. We're getting to the point where spillage during refueling may be a bigger factor in pollution than tailpipe emissions, especially with SULEV and PZEV emissions compliant cars like the Prius. So don't spill any fuel while refueling.

Also, what's the usual solution to the gelling problem of biodiesel in cold weather? Does the US version of the TDI come with some sort of fuel preheating system? I guess this wouldn't matter on the west coast.
It comes with glow plugs for starting. Although if the fuel gels in the tank, the glow plugs won't really help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I heard that if you put a good catalytic converter system on a biodiesel sytem it should help eliminate the NOx levels. Anyone know if this to be true?

I heard something about tweeking the timing on the engine will help eliminate something too... wonder if that was the NOx levels. I'll have to look it up again.

One more question. How clean is Biodiesel compared to actual gasoline?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys want me to start another thread, and you can take this one over to talk about diesels?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Rensho said:
You guys want me to start another thread, and you can take this one over to talk about diesels?
Yeah, the For Sale forum might get better results. Finding a Prius quickly is a tough job though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts