Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's '05 Prius had a nail in front tire and was half flat so we went to tire store. They, for some reason, took the tire off the rim to plug it after removing the nail. Manager showed me inside the tire, a slight break or split in the inner surface running across the tread (tire width). Is there any known recall or problem in this area that anyone knows of? BTW, he said keep an eye on it and didn't try to panic us into buying a new tire. Afterward I thought, keep an eye on it? It's inside the tire! Should this be covered under warranty? Car has about 12k miles. Maybe at the 15k service I'll ask the dealer about it. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dstar said:
Is there any known recall or problem in this area that anyone knows of?
I haven't heard of any such recalls. People complain about the OEM tires from time to time, but the complaints tend to center around handling and weather issues rather than longevity.

dstar said:
Should this be covered under warranty? Car has about 12k miles.
If the gentleman at the tire store is correct that it is an issue, it should be covered. The OEM tires come with a 36,000 mile warranty through the manufacturer; check your paper work for the details. If the issue were to cause the tire to go flat, you could have it taken care of under the Road Hazard Coverage of the Roadside Assistance Program. Either way, you are fine as long as it happens in the first 3 years/36,000 miles.

Jay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts