Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-Things-Prius savvy folks,

I won't be picking up my new Prius for a few more weeks still, but I've been filling up the time by reading EVERYTHING on the Prius. No - I'm not obsessed, I just have Prius-Deficit disorder.

So, in anticipation of the big day, I'm wondering if anyone has an inspection checklist of things to look for when picking up a new Prius (or any car, really) to review before driving off the lot. I first did some searches on your site to not waste your time - but missed finding anything.

I know about the Dealer checklist that Toyota provides and have printed off a copy of that (Boy, is it long and detailed!), but I'm thinking that the things that I need to check as a buyer are a bit different. Things that they could claim were damaged after I left the lot, for example.

So, I also searched Google and was also finding Nada other than for Used cars until I finally refined my custom search using the following keywords: "checklist -house -home inspection -used "new car " -depreciation -depreciate -depreciates" and I turned up only two (2!) hits on the web both of which are pretty good although not as focused on a Prius as I would like.

This first one is way-obsessive... Just the way I like it!: URL Jerry's E46 Pickup Checklist
and the second is straightforward, simple and clear, more suited to my wife: URL Royal Bank New Car Inspection Checklist

One example that I would never have thought of on my own from the detailed checklist is informing the dealer a week ahead on if I accept to have the car "branded" with the dealer insignia. He also raises the possibility of having the alignment checked (with printout) because some cars have problems from shipping but he wasn't sure if it was overkill. And much much more.

You've all had the experience of driving the cars off the lot and perhaps finding little surprises some days later, some particular to the Prius and others about new cars in general. You might also know that some things don't need to be checked beyond the dealer's checklist because there haven't been problems with them.

I would love to get your feedback and perhaps we could even put a simple or anal-retentive checklist together for the newbies (OK, OK! for me...) if it seems warranted. Thanks for any feedback...

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you're going to call the dealer in advance, you might remind them you're not going to pay for any dealer add-ons (unless you want them) such as the paint stuff, scotchguard stuff, floor mats, first aid kit, etc.

If you find it handles a little funny on the highway when you test drive it, have the dealer check the alignment including toe, camber (?) and also zero the steering wheel. Then test it again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
efusco said:
AND
mrv said:
the only one I know of is for a Classic Prius: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius/message/6784
These and Godiva's comments are certainly was what I had in mind... Thanks!

I was also wondering what were the common things that might have not worked right from the lot, based on your common experience?

Regardless, the checklists from PriusChat and Yahoo take care of my main question - Merci! :)[/quote]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts