Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am considering window tinting when I order a Prius. Are there any reasons not to do this? I read in one post that the window glass is designed to optimize the heating and AC in order to minimize energy use, so I would not want undermine that if the tint would make a big difference.

Also, if tinting is OK, should I have the dealer do it or have it done elsehwere if it is much cheaper?

Thanks

Maurice

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If you check out the general forum you'll find a post from me with picture of my tinted '04. The owner's manual advises AGAINST tinting b/c almost all tints these days contain metal that can interfere with GPS (in theory) if your vehicle is so equipt.

That said, I have excellent GPS reception post tinting. Another poster on the Yahoo forum was able to access the diagnostic screen and counted satellites recieved pre/post tinting and found the he may have decreased the reception by 1 satelite with no functional loss. I can't imagine the tint having an adverse effect on climate control and should, I'd think, be an improvement in the summer.
--evan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Window tinting

I'd offer one thought.

If you tint your windows, the drivers behind you can't see the traffic (or signals) in front of you.

Not a huge deal with a small car like a Prius, but when I get stuck behind a Suburban with limo-dark tinted windows I start getting nervous...

Being able to see things going on two or three cars in front of you is a big help in preventing the rear-ender accident.

FWIW.

Steve
2002 Brilliant Blue

·
Registered
106 Posts
I plan to tint the rear windows of my Prius when it finally arrives. The only concern I can think of is the warranty (if any) on the rear window which contains a heating element for defrosting. Being crafty, I might suggest you get the dealer to do it. Then if you should have warranty problems you can say the dealer did it. :wink: Whatshisname

·
Registered
131 Posts
In Pennsylvania it's illegal to tint the driver's side window. The "staties" want to be able to see in when they pull you over.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Fortunately (for me) tinting laws are largely ignored by the police, unless you really piss them off and they wanna stick it to you for every little thing they can. I tinted my windows with a 30% (medium) tint, which is illegal in MO. I'll take the risk, I don't expect any cop would pull you over just to measure your tint density. Also, they probably don't routinely carry a meter for that purpose. I think that as long as driver visibility isn't significantly impaired they're unlikely to make a fuss.
--evan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dark tint on the front side windows is a safety hazard for night driving. In poorly illuminated areas (not all night driving is under bright street lamps) it impairs your view of the space that you are turning into. I have well above average night vision and still have this problem on a Dodge Dakota. Sure you can roll the window down (it is electric windows) but that is a poor poor substitute for being able to see. If it is raining or snowing a bunch rolling down the window would only be a good option for a zealot.

You will not unduly impair your climate control. You will inprove A/C performance for summer driving and worsen solar gain contributions in winter but heating is usually a much easier task than cooling a car interior.

There are non-metallic tints if maximum GPS performance is an issue. The GPS satellite constellation is not in geosynchronous orbit and thus is a constantly changing tableau of reception conditions. The referrenced A-B (before and after) comparison is not very good data. The tester was well intentioned but ill informed. If the test had been extended in the before tint condition a varying number of satellites would have been indicated. It is alltogether likely that a prolonged after test might have had a period of time when more satellites were tracked with the tint than during a short "before" test. It is statistical in nature and a couple short snapshots of a dynamically changing environment does not give a good understanding. Now that the constellation has been well filled in, gaps in adequate multi-satellite availability are infrequent and of shorter duration. Many GPS rcvrs can track a dozen birds at the same time and you only need three to get a good fix. The three must be sufficiently above the horizon and not too directly overhead, nor colinear. Three well placed birds are enough so GPS rcvrs track a bunch and average data from the best positioned.

Tint suggestiion. OK if you don't go too dark. Some folks, especially women alone, like tints that prevent their being seen as women alone. Lighter tints with metallic reflective outer layer (like the mirror sunglasses) provide the privacy without having to be Limo dark.

Best to you in your decision making progress and in the coming holiday season.

Pat

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have metallic 20% tint (legal is 35%) and my GPS works just fine. Tinting wasn't an option in my mind because I have to watch out for sun exposure (medication I take).

It also really nice to be able to reduce the amount of heat the sun delivers - here in Houston that matters a lot in the summer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think legal tints will interfere too much with GPS in most situations, most of the time. Anyone out there with NAV who drives in really deep woods and or deep canyons or both simultaneously? How about a user report? Do you have a metallic tint? How many birds do you usually track and how many in the deep woods?

With 8-12 birds in line of sight much of the time and only 3 well placed ones required for a fix, you'd need enough shielding to stop green kryptonite before you would seriously impair the NAV much of the time.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts