Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like conventional cars would I need to drive the first so many miles under 55-60 mph, to break in the ICE..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just go with what the manual says, no full throttle accelerations or "racing the engine" for 600 miles. Very difficult to race the engine without heavy acceleration, so not much too it really.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
And (per the manual) no hard braking in the first 200 miles.

Every owner really should read the entire manual at least once. There's lots of non-obvious stuff in it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
richard schumacher said:
Every owner really should read the entire manual at least once. There's lots of non-obvious stuff in it.
The dealer should give the manual upon ordering, and, before picking up the actual car, sustain an exam. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The.Tramp said:
[quote="richard schumacher":rsytep3r]Every owner really should read the entire manual at least once. There's lots of non-obvious stuff in it.
The dealer should give the manual upon ordering, and, before picking up the actual car, sustain an exam. :)[/quote:rsytep3r]

Tee-hee! I like it!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the good advice -- I'll be picking my new baby up from the dealer tomorrow...and have a 200 mile drive back home after! At least the brakes will be broken in by the time I get home! ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Back in the day, the story was that 2004's experienced engine warning lights due to some sort of transport-protectant gunk applied in Japan that wasn't all removed over here, and needed to burn off.

So the day I picked up my car, I put it on the highway at 70 for an hour up almost to Charlotte, bought a Dew, and then drove it home. The gas came with the car so it was no big deal to me. January MPG was like 40, so I was already impressed over my last car. No engine lights then, and no long-term problems as of 23K miles...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"The dealer should give the manual upon ordering, and, before picking up the actual car, sustain an exam"

Yeah, but most dealers couldn't pass that exam!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Back in the day of Internet Ordering your Prius (2001-2002 model years), Toyota in the US sent you an early-edition Owner's Manual via UPS while you were waiting for delivery, to give you something to drool over while waiting... (The "extinction cancelation button" described in that early translated manual was fun, and was fixed in the manual delivered with the car...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts