Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am needing to replace the tires on my Classic Prius and in my research I have found that the Michelin HydroEdge tire is the best deal when calculating price per mile. But I can't calculate the true price per mile until I know what kind of impact that they have on mileage. So my question is, has any one had these installed on their Prius and if so how did they effect your gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
What is the load rating on the Hydroedges? and what size are you looking for? It can be difficult to find Classic Prius tires with the same/better load rating without going to a different size... (I had to go to the 185/65 R14s for my winter Nokian WRs, as the 175/65 R14 load rating was too low.)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge Tires

I have a 2002 classic Prius, too; and I had to go up one size (to 185-65R14) as Michelin did not make HydroEdges in the size that came on the car.

The speedometer reads 1 mph slower than with the OEM Bridgestones, as read with a GPS. However, this is close enough that you won't get a ticket for speeding. Also, this difference was gone after about 10-15,000 miles, with the slightly reduced outside diameter from normal tread wear.

I think that the HydroEdges come in two different load ratings, though I am speaking from memory and I bought the tires about 2-3 years ago. You can tell by the max inflation pressure on the side of the tires. If I recall correctly, the lower rated tires (which might not have been the HydroEdges) have a max of 36 psi, and the higher rated tires say 44 psi max. I would get the 44 psi-rated tires, so you can pump them up. (I run 44/42.)

I have been extremely satisfied with these tires, and they are the best performing and wearing passenger car tires I have owned in over 40 years of driving.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is the info I have on these tires:

185 / 65 R14
85T speed & load rating
44 PSI (3.0 bar) maximum pressure
1124 lbs. (510 kg) maximum load
Non-LRR (Standard Rolling Resistance)
11/32 inch (9 mm) tread depth
867 revs per mile
"A" Traction
"B" Temperature
800 Treadwear
90,000 (144,841km) Mile Warranty

$86.00 Price
$15.00 Mounting
$10.50 Road Hazzard
$8.00 Shipping
________
$119.50 Per Wheel total
________
$478.00
/ 90,000 Miles on Warranty
________
$0.0053 Price Per Mile

$0.0059 Price per 100k miles(baseline)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Michelin HydroEdge Tires

Phoenix said:
I have a 2002 classic Prius, too; and I had to go up one size (to 185-65R14) as Michelin did not make HydroEdges in the size that came on the car.

The speedometer reads 1 mph slower than with the OEM Bridgestones, as read with a GPS. However, this is close enough that you won't get a ticket for speeding. Also, this difference was gone after about 10-15,000 miles, with the slightly reduced outside diameter from normal tread wear.

I think that the HydroEdges come in two different load ratings, though I am speaking from memory and I bought the tires about 2-3 years ago. You can tell by the max inflation pressure on the side of the tires. If I recall correctly, the lower rated tires (which might not have been the HydroEdges) have a max of 36 psi, and the higher rated tires say 44 psi max. I would get the 44 psi-rated tires, so you can pump them up. (I run 44/42.)

I have been extremely satisfied with these tires, and they are the best performing and wearing passenger car tires I have owned in over 40 years of driving.
How did the tires affect your mileage?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge Tires

Originally, it looked like about a 2-3 mpg decrease, but then I realized that the tires were inflated to 32 psi. I experimented with varying the pressure and measuring the contact patch, and found that the full rated 44 psi for the front tires would give the most even wear. So now I run 44/42 and am getting about 5 mpg better than I was with the OEM Bridgestones. I changed my driving techniques around the same time, which may have also accounted for part of the improvement, but I think the increased tire pressure made the biggest part of the difference.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Michelin HydroEdge Tires

Phoenix said:
Originally, it looked like about a 2-3 mpg decrease, but then I realized that the tires were inflated to 32 psi. I experimented with varying the pressure and measuring the contact patch, and found that the full rated 44 psi for the front tires would give the most even wear. So now I run 44/42 and am getting about 5 mpg better than I was with the OEM Bridgestones. I changed my driving techniques around the same time, which may have also accounted for part of the improvement, but I think the increased tire pressure made the biggest part of the difference.
Thank you!

I am running Michelin Harmonys now and get around 50 mpg so I would expect that the hydroedges should not adversly impact my MPG at all. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hydroedge tires

Hello--

I just replaced my 2004 Prius original tires (very worn at 36,500 miles) with Michelin Hydroedges a week ago, loving the idea of not having to replace them for possibly 90,000 miles. I've put less than 200 miles on them. Love how much more "grounded" I feel driving with them--my original tires were quieter but felt unstable at times. However, now my miles per gallon (mostly in town) is 6-7 m.p.g. less--was worried I had made a huge mistake until I read Susan's comment that her mileage improved after a "break-in" period of 2-3 weeks. Will also check how much air is in them. Thanks for the tips! RobertaK who is a worrier!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, 2-3 weeks is a lot better than the around 12,000 miles I needed to put on my GoodyearTripleTreds until they began giving MPGs closer to the OEM tires.

I have the 1-year anniversary coming up in a couple of weeks, and while they do nicely MPG-wise, I've noticed the return of some slippage when accelrating while turning right, even on dry roads. I guess if/when the rain handling starts to suffer I'll start feeling annoyed...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've got about 2000 miles on my hydroedges. I believe I have had approximately a 5 MPG decrease.

But I'm not disappointed because:

1) I haven't sat down to calculate it.
2) I can still get a 50 MPG + tank if I drive sanely.

In other words, I don't yet know the exact impact of the hydroedges on fuel economy and I acknowledge that I still drive like a maniac from time to time. :oops:

I'm happy with the tires. But I'll be a bit cheesed off if we have a dry summer here in Florida. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.