Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: Mr. Roadshow, San Jose Mercury News 11/7/05 (http://www.bayarea.com)

Q: Two months ago we received the carpool sticker for our Prius and, surprisingly, now carpool even more frequently because the Prius driver (usually me) feels guilty about leaving her spouse in traffic. You could even say we're doing double-duty for the environment, encouraged by the carpool access sticker. But . . .

Tammi Hersrud
Hollister,CA

A: I've got a feeling this is not a happy hybrid-carpool tale.

Q: Friday morning we couldn't carpool, so my husband won the Prius arm-wrestle and off he went to work -- and got the first negative carpool reaction and it almost killed him. He was tootling up 101 near 85, when a sport-utility vehicle pulled up alongside, the driver blowing his horn, red-faced and yelling out the window and pointing at the empty passenger seat. The driver then tried to force hubby off the road, cutting into him and almost sending him into the concrete barrier. For the next few miles the driver alternately drove in front and slammed on his brakes, trying to cause a rear-ender, or pulled behind and tailgated and flashed his lights. And he continued to yell out the window and point at the empty passenger seat. It's frightening to think how close our family came to a tragedy. It's ironic that the angry driver was in a gas-guzzling SUV, usually the target for angry drivers. Of course 911 was called and the license plate reported, but can police actually do anything?

Tammi Hersrud

A: They will send a letter to the registered owner warning him to behave. I hope he understands the risks he caused your husband, himself and others on the freeway. Many drivers are upset at people they suspect are carpool cheaters, but we're not the police. Many solo drivers in hybrids are legally using the diamond lane. Let them be.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I carry a digital camera (takes short movies, too), and such evidence can allow the CHP to arrest and charge the driver. Of course, you have your hands full at that point, so it isn't easy. I have found that many such bullies become very cowardly when they see me with a camera. They realize they may face serious trouble and usually choose to bail quickly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hardly a reason to hate SUV's. It was an azzhole doing that, not the suv - blaming the suv shows that you believe that all SUV owners are Azzholes - which is a brutal generalization.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
kenlacy said:
Hardly a reason to hate SUV's. It was an azzhole doing that, not the suv - blaming the suv shows that you believe that all SUV owners are Azzholes - which is a brutal generalization.
2 out of 3? :wink:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I live in the bay area and have been commuting daily with the stickers. I haven't had one incidient of any kind. That guy just sounds like a nut job. The other thing I don't understand is how the SUV was able to get in front of the Prius and in back of him at will. Traffic couldn't have been very heavy or the carpool lane would have been moving much faster than the other lanes. If it were me, I wouldn't have been in the carpool lane if the other lanes were doing the speed limit.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
On the routes I drive with HOV lanes, the relative speeds vary greatly. There are spots where there is no speed difference, others where regular traffic has stopped but I'm flying. The problem is that there are so few "openings" where you may legally enter or leave the HOV lanes that you usually just choose the HOV "just in case" it gets crowded later on.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Getting along side...in front...in back ..etc. while in the HOV lane isn't easy unless the offending driver is crossing a lot of solid yellow lines..
Would "He" have been less of an azzhole if he had been driving a Corolla..Civic..?
Road rage certainly exists but this story sounds a bit fishy....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hep said:
kenlacy said:
Thanks HEP - at least now I know I have 1/3rd of a chance that the next Prius driver I see thinks I might be a good guy :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hep said:
kenlacy said:
I prefer the Ivory Soap ratio...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KTPhil said:
On the routes I drive with HOV lanes, the relative speeds vary greatly. There are spots where there is no speed difference, others where regular traffic has stopped but I'm flying. The problem is that there are so few "openings" where you may legally enter or leave the HOV lanes that you usually just choose the HOV "just in case" it gets crowded later on.
But here in Northern CA, we don't have limited entry/exit points of HOV lanes, you can merge in and out anywhere...with the sole exception of the westbound toll approach to the Dumbarton bridge, which probably has the lightest traffic of all bridges around the bay.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
redwein said:
That guy just sounds like a nut job.
I agree. There are just jerks out there regardless of what car they drive. I own an SUV but am usually pretty courteous when I drive, especially with the Prius.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I can totally relate to the SUV driver... honestly, Hybrids aren't HOV compliant and they shouldnet be in the HOV lane with only one occupant.. that "rule" (as an incentive) will be long gone when more hybrids hit the road...

You're only fooling youself thinking you're "HOV" with only one person in your car...

guess what .. it has windows and they're glass... we can see that you're cheating (go on.. convince yourself you're not.. you wont convince me)...

moral of the story? Get tinted windows of yer gonna "fake it" in the HOV lane.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
fish_antlers said:
You're only fooling youself thinking you're "HOV" with only one person in your car...
What makes a lane of roadway an HOV lane? .... the law
What says a Prius can use said HOV lane? .... the law

If you don't like it, vote out the people that said yes, and vote in people that say no...but until then... it's THE LAW... obey!

·
Registered
457 Posts
You're only fooling youself thinking you're "HOV" with only one person in your car... guess what .. it has windows and they're glass... we can see that you're cheating (go on.. convince yourself you're not.. you wont convince me)...
And you'll do what..?

·
Registered
581 Posts
JDavies said:
You're only fooling youself thinking you're "HOV" with only one person in your car... guess what .. it has windows and they're glass... we can see that you're cheating (go on.. convince yourself you're not.. you wont convince me)...
And you'll do what..?
He (fish_antlers) will probably do what he always does, communicate a threat of physical harm and endangerment using his Durango as weapon of choice.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's hardly a "law".. it's merely an incentive limited by quantity and time for only a few areas of the country. If it was a "law" it would apply anywhere, anytime, to anyone ina hybrid, and it doesnt.

This is a great topic because it brings up a great point I wanted to make earlier...

how many people in areas that have this temporary HOV lane waiver in place actually bought the Prius because they felt they were "saving the planet" or infact bought it simply to access the HOV lane as a SINGLE OCCUPANT VEHICLE (basically "cheating") so that they wouldnt have to sit in traffic.

If you're true motivation was to "save the planet" would it not make more sense to allow poluting vehicles to use the HOV lane so they would not sit stopped in traffic and keep the "clean" Hybrid vehicles stopped, stuck in traffic jams, because those vehicles are not pumping emmisions out into the atmosphere?

The Hybrids should be stuck in traffic, stopped. That would "clean up the air" more than keeping SUVs stopped.

That's the truth. I'm sure it hurts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I bought mine because it saves fuel. Period. Whilst saving fuel, it is the most useful of all of the economy cars.

I like the idea of cleaner air and the HOV access, as well as the tax deduction (pre-2006), but they bore no influence on what vehicle I bought.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts