Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received another "Special Service Campaign" Notice!
It is called "SSC 40D-2004 Model Year Prius Hybrid vehicle On-Board Diagnostic Special Service Campaign"!

Is this a goof up and just a repeat of the re-call we had before?

I don't remember the number of the re-call we had before where they re-programed the computer!

Anyone else get this one?

·
Registered
515 Posts
It is another update, far from anything that could be considered a "recall".

This one updates the ECU to allow the dealer's diagnostic tool to retrieve more information. In other words, Prius works fine, the tool has issues.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john1701a said:

This one updates the ECU to allow the dealer's diagnostic tool to retrieve more information. In other words, Prius works fine, the tool has issues.
Here goes another lost day!
The re-call notice says it should take 1 hour. The last re-call said the same thing, but the dealer said, at least four hours and the computer crashed during the re-programing and had to be replaced! All told it took the better part of 3 days!

·
Registered
397 Posts
john1701a said:

I'm not looking to tug on Superman's cape, but that's not necessarily so. The SSC 40D bulletin is worded, in part, as follows: "...If a repair facility's On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) scantool is used to diagnose a condition where the hybrid warning light and/or master warning light is illuminated, the OBD scantool may not recognize the system fault."
The update is done to the Prius, not the scantool, therefore I interpret this to mean the fault lies within the vehicle.
I've had this service performed on my '04 and will test the update's viability tomorrow, as I have experienced yet another instance of my check engine lights coming on. If anyone is interested, I'll be adding more about this in an already lengthy thread in the technical category.

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=1260

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I also received the SSC 40D notice; tried to take it in this past Sat, but their certified Prius techs only work M-F. Will try to reschedule for Fri; dealer said they'd courtesy shuttle me to/from work while they had the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took mine in today for the SSC 40 D work. It took about 45 minutes. The Prius technician has done a few already, so there was no "experimenting" with my car.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's subject to debate...

There really isn't anything needing repair with Prius itself. You know, functional stuff to make the hybrid system work. It is the diagnostic system... which I consider a helpful add-on, nothing necessary for driving.

Realistically, it doesn't matter. My maintenance page will simply recite the info from Toyota anyway. (They do the update for me tomorrow morning.)

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
That's subject to debate...

There really isn't anything needing repair with Prius itself. You know, functional stuff to make the hybrid system work. It is the diagnostic system... which I consider a helpful add-on, nothing necessary for driving.

Realistically, it doesn't matter. My maintenance page will simply recite the info from Toyota anyway. (They do the update for me tomorrow morning.)
I think moocatdog is right here. The bulletin says something along the lines of the Prius will report incorrect codes to the diagnostic tools. This sounds like an issue with the computer to me.

And if you think it's a helpful add-on only to get the correct codes, try having your prius die on you in highway traffic. You'll damn well want the correct codes reported when they get it in for service, because you won't want the issue to happen again.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Misconceptions are created when people over-generalize, and that is exactly what is beginning to happen here... "issue with the computer" is far too vague.

It is best to always be specific, to avoid unnecessary confusion.

In this case, the update is needed for the "diagnostic system".

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
Misconceptions are created when people over-generalize, and that is exactly what is beginning to happen here... "issue with the computer" is far too vague.
And dangerous misconceptions are created when people treat things too lightly. This is something you want fixed before you have a problem, just in case. Not after. Take it from me, having your Prius drop dead is pretty traumatic. You want it fixed right, and you want the diagnostic system to report the right errors. You don't want techs doing an easter egg hunt for problems.

·
Registered
515 Posts
> And dangerous misconceptions are created

But the same goes for causing unnecessary stress, or even panic.

By not being specific, someone may think there's something wrong with the propulsion system, that they are in danger if they continue to drive the car.

Include details to avoid misunderstandings.

In short, we cannot call everything software-related a "computer issue". We should specify what is actually affected. In this case, it is a function within the diagnosis system, a tool for the mechanics when problem-solving.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
> And dangerous misconceptions are created

But the same goes for causing unnecessary stress, or even panic.

By not being specific, someone may think there's something wrong with the propulsion system, that they are in danger if they continue to drive the car.

Include details to avoid misunderstandings.

In short, we cannot call everything software-related a "computer issue". We should specify what is actually affected. In this case, it is a function within the diagnosis system, a tool for the mechanics when problem-solving.
Look, if you wanna go play kissy with Toyota and downplay any potential issues, that's your deal. I accept that while the car is a damn good car, and I'm generally happy with it (except the dying on the highway bit), it, like any other car, does have a few issues.

I'm not sure where you think I'm trying to create misconceptions that something is wrong with the propulsion system. I'm not. I'm also not trying to blow the problem off as a nothing issue. The bottom line is: If you have a problem and don't have this update, the dealer may have a very hard time diagnosing it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
Being specific isn't a way of downplaying, it is a way of avoiding misunderstandings.

Look back, your original quote doesn't match what was actually stated in the SSC notice.
My original quote said:

I think moocatdog is right here. The bulletin says something along the lines of the Prius will report incorrect codes to the diagnostic tools. This sounds like an issue with the computer to me.

How is that wrong? Doesn't the SSC state that the prius will report incorrect codes to the diagnostic tool. Sigh.

Now, let's look at your original post. I'm not going to grab it again, but I think you said something very similar to "the problem isn't the Prius, the problem is the tool". Which is a pretty big twist. The problem is the prius, it is not the tool.

·
Registered
515 Posts
"may not recognize" does not translate to "will report incorrect"

It means nothing will be reported. It doesn't mean the data will be wrong.

Avoid the opportunity for misunderstanding.

Don't translate.

Stay specific.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
"may not recognize" does not translate to "will report incorrect"

Stay specific.
Bloody hell John... I said that without the update, the toyota techs may have a very hard time figuring out what is wrong with your car. I also said, you want the car to report the right codes... all of which is perfectly valid.

You need to really lighten up here. I'm not saying that the car is going to burst into flames. I'm not saying the car will die. I'm saying that you want this update prior to any issues, not after. I'm not glossing over it, or trying to make it into a big deal. I'm also not brushing it off, which is why I suspect you're not letting the matter die. It's an issue. It can be fixed. It's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
You imply a lot.

Stick to the facts next time.
Which facts were wrong? Please back up your statements. Use specific examples where applicable.

And actually, stick to the facts easily applies to some of your statements. The statement that the problem was "a problem with the tool, the prius is fine" was verrrrrrry misleading.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts