Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading the forum since august and just got my Prius yesterday.

I love it!

One of the first things that had me thrilled was the fact that it started out at 4 mpg (it was sitting there from being messed with all day) and about 3 miles later when I got to work it already had a better average than the car I traded in for it. (Honda Accord Hybrid)

I've already got the hang of the pulse and glide, though it's difficult to do in some spots in town. Lots of hills.

So basically this is just an introduction and a request for comments. Any suggestions, tips, etc.

-Michael

P.S. I want to put the priusxm in but it's not actually my car, so the person who owns the car is going to call around to various toyota dealers to see if they can put it in. I think I can handle it, I am a IT professional after all :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Welcome Michael!

The father in me requires me to warn you to watch the road. It is very easy to be caught up in the MFD and miss seeing the bicycle in front of you, especially the first couple weeks. Drive carefully and enjoy getting to know the car. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will. I'm trying to save my playing with the mfd until someone else is driving ;)

It sure is tempting though. And I have to be especially careful of bikes in my town, they are all over.

(I'm personally considering scrapping my other car and getting a bike, or something)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Ecogeek said:
One of the first things that had me thrilled was the fact that it started out at 4 mpg (it was sitting there from being messed with all day) and about 3 miles later when I got to work it already had a better average than the car I traded in for it. (Honda Accord Hybrid)
Just out of curiosity, why did you trade in the Accord? I thought they just came out so it doesn't seem like it could be that old.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I traded it in because it was getting awful mileage. Well good if your not that into mileage but 19-22 mpg around town is awful for anything with hybrid on it, in my opinion.

My mother-in-law got it in a small town and it was the only hybrid available, (besides the civic, which was way to small for me, still a teeeeeny bit cramped in prius but it's a comfortable kind of cramped. Woah, way to get off subject) Anyway, so she wanted a new car right NOW. (her husband just passed, retail therapy) So we talked her into getting a hybrid and it was decent for our old town, if you spend a lot of time on the highway it's a decent car, but this town where everything is close with lots of hills, it just killed the mileage. So, short story long. That's the jist of it.

hope I didn't ramble too much

P.S. It's not mine so this had no influence in the decision, but personally, I like the car to stand out. I don't want the hybrid to look like every other car out there. But that's about my only vanity so I'm stickin' with it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hmm, looks like the driveway to my late grandparents' log cabin summer home in Canada. Would have been willing to drive my Prius there (had it for less than a month last time I went there last year) but boss couldn't let me off that long.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh, I love this town. It does have that cabin-like feel. But it's right smack dab in the middle of town, which up till I got the Prius was a good thing, now I'm trying to find ways to make my 2.5mi commute to work longer :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woohoo, got my first 100 bar on the time readout thingie on the mfd. I was able to get almost the whole way to work in stealth mode. I LOVE this car! ;)

:D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ecogeek said:
Woohoo, got my first 100 bar on the time readout thingie on the mfd. I was able to get almost the whole way to work in stealth mode. I LOVE this car! ;)

Life is, indeed, good. :) You'll fit right in here, Egeek! I do recommend the polar bear's 12 step program for MPG junkies, however. We can all get just a LITTLE caught up in the whole MPG game.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sanny said:
Life is, indeed, good. :) You'll fit right in here, Egeek! I do recommend the polar bear's 12 step program for MPG junkies, however. We can all get just a LITTLE caught up in the whole MPG game.

Heh, I know. I didn't think I would need that program, but I just had a thought that might warrant going through the program...

I think I'm gonna go to the city gov offices and get a good topo map of the city with roads and such so I can plan out the flattest trips...

That's not enough to qualify for junkie is it? ;)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ecogeek said:
Sanny said:

Heh, I know. I didn't think I would need that program, but I just had a thought that might warrant going through the program...

I think I'm gonna go to the city gov offices and get a good topo map of the city with roads and such so I can plan out the flattest trips...

That's not enough to qualify for junkie is it? ;)
Oh, man.... I think you'll need all 12 steps, and then a few more! You're not hopeless - yet. But you do need help from a professional. Quick! Find the Bear!

Repeat after me... my name is Ecogeek, and I'm an mpg junky...

;)

We're here for you, EGeek... We're here for you...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sanny, I think he's OK for now. He hasn't disconnected the
heat on Mom or told her that a Prius cannot be driven faster
than 35mph without permanent damage. When that happens,
he'll have to consult with the bear.

PS...notice I said "when"...not "if"

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ok, true... It's not yet time for the pretty white coat that buttons up the back. And he's not washing it every day to cut down on drag (or I don't think so). We still have time...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts