Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was filling up my Prius yesterday when a woman at the pump next to me started asking about the car and bemoaning the high price of gasoline. She was driving a brand new Jaguar, so I'm not sure money was the real issue. She was quite glamorous, so I like to think she was hitting on me :) but it's possible that she's simply starting to come around to greener thinking.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Moocatdog:

___Every time I hear this lately, I ask the individual what his or her last tank mpg in whatever he or she was driving is? After maybe 20 of these questions in the last 2 months, I havent received even 1 exacting response other then its about 23 or about 16 or I receive about EPA estimates. People can scream about fuel prices but since most dont even know what there automobiles are receiving or capable of, how can you help them improve without a wholesale change out of their particular automobile?

___With that, imagine if the lady you spoke with in the Jaguar owned a 2004 XJ8 with an EPA City/Hwy estimate of 18/28. I cant believe it but is actually quite clean when I looked it up. Let us imagine she received 17 mpg on that tank in combined Hwy and City driving. You can do the math for her at the pump if she or the XJ resets the tank trip distance at each fill. Now you can mention how she could probably improve her fuel economy by 20 - 40% over and above what she is currently receiving with just a 30 second explanation of some of the tips and tricks some of us use.

___Who knows, after 75,000 Hybrid drivers help teach the rest of the millions driving today what is and isnt possible, maybe, just maybe we will all live in a better place

___Wishful thinking, isnt it ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:38kbubz0][email protected][/email:38kbubz0]

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Wayne is right about people not really knowing what they get for gas mileage. Nobody calculates it for themselves.

But a lot of people do know how far they can go on a tank of gas (courtesy of their trip-odometers), and they do have a rough idea of what it costs to fill that tank.

So I put it into perspective. At $2.00 per gallon, I'll pay less than $24 to fill up, and I will be able to drive almost 500 miles before I have to get gas again. It's not "MPG" per se, but it always gets wide eyes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BIF said:
But a lot of people do know how far they can go on a tank of gas (courtesy of their trip-odometers), and they do have a rough idea of what it costs to fill that tank.
It is not like it is that hard to figure out one's fuel economy. E.g. you're at the fuel station, having just filled the fuel tank. You see the amount of fuel on the pump and remember it. You check the trip odometer, then reset it. You divide the former reading from the trip odometer by the amount of fuel you just put in to get the miles per gallon.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
moocatdog said:
You guys need to get back on-topic. What about that woman flirting with me? ...
LOL... just like a typical guy. We always think any woman in a Jaguar who's talking to us is flirting with us! :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a minor observation. Being a former Jag owner I am betting she is putting premium gas in her Jag since that is what the manufacturer recommends. So right off she is paying .20 cents or more a gallon for her gas.
I am still waiting for some of that flirting that I use to receive when I was driving my Jag but I definitely love the money I am saving. I think I prefer the money and the environment.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
saylav said:
...I think I prefer the money and the environment....
Yeah, and fit women who can put a bicycle in their Prius too, rather than a woman who can't ride outdoors for fear of scratching the paint... :?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BIF said:
LOL... just like a typical guy. We always think any woman in a Jaguar who's talking to us is flirting with us! :p
What makes you think I'm a guy?
Drive happy,
Moo :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts