Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday June 15 the California Senate Transportation Committee passed AB2628, Representative Pavley's bill allowing some hybrids to use the HOV lanes without passengers and AJR74 the bill asking the US Congress to pass enabling legislation. The votes were both 10-1 in favor. Both bills were sent to the Senate Appropriations Comittee for the next step.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When should we expect to be able to drive in the Carpool lanes alone in our hybrids?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HOV lanes

Legislation in California becomes effective on January 1 the year after the bill is passed, unless it is an urgency measure which becomes effective immediately upon signature by the Governor.

AB2828 (Pavley) is a non-urgency measure.

It should be noted that similar bills have been introduced almost every year and have failed. Also, passage of the bill could jeopardize the availability of future federal highway funding.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hmmm...there seems to be a lot of excitement over this. Y'all know it'll probably be a temporary measure to encourage hybrid vehicle use, but it probably will get retracted at some point, right?

The highway funding thingie is part of it. And the other part is the whole "too many cars on the road" problem. Like I said in another post (I think)...Drive' em while ya got 'em. But don't get cheesed off when your privledge gets deleted. Traffic flow is nothing more than a big math problem, and eventually, I think they'll HAVE to retract the law.

Either that, or somehow restrict HOV cars in other ways.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now just imagine this.... I really want this to pass as most of us do. They aren't going to let every hybrid use the HOV lane alone so they will put a limit on the amount of permits given. So if it does pass, where do we get the permit the MORNING it is released?

·
Registered
299 Posts
What I heard is that 70000 permits will be offered. At that point, no more will be allowed. Currenly, there are about 20000 hybrids on the California roads. So it looks like current owners will be ablt to get the permit when they are available.

I also heard that the feds need to agree to this bill. As mentioned, there is federal funding involved. I think that if the feds don't go along, this will be a mute point. I hope I'm wrong though!!

Here is a good link to read. It does say 75000 permits. It also says this is good through 2008. So yes, it will be taken away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts