Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the "little baby" three weeks and my wife and I really enjoy it; although she is afraid to drive it so far. Yesterday, while an 18-wheeler cut me off i punched the car and black smoke came out the exhaust. At 1,000 miles is this normal? Or should I be talking to my dealer?

Thanks;

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Used to be, when I was in HS, my dad would take my car and drive it now and then. His purpose, I think, was to put it under hard driving conditions (I didn't drive fast or far). 'Blow the carbon out.' My guess (but what do I know?) is that you floored the pedal and put the ICE to its max. If you don't have smoke under normal conditions, I wouldn't worry. A big cough. Blue smoke is bad. Don't make it have blue smoke.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hmmm, maybe I'm off base, but I remember an issue with some coating forming on the O2 sensor or in the cat that had to burn off or a MIL/code was stored. A service bulletin mentioned this, which is normal. Maybe you burned it off rapidly?

Oil burns blue, rich gas black. Why would it run rich? Stuck injector?

·
Registered
344 Posts
if you really floor it, you'll kick out some black smoke on your way down the road.

[edit] i should add, though, that if you see this more than rarely, something is wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no creds to really comment but if I payed 40K$CAD, or as you Americans pay 25K$USD or whatever, I would be calling teh dealer demanding they "do something". All I can say is that if blacksmoke came out of my new car i would want a new one or at least a full and total diag to be run at their expense and a temporary car to get me from A to B........I would then pick apart the results of teh diag so critically and annoyingly (is that even a word??) until they basically got me a new one.

Seems really odd however that that would happen. Dosen't make sense at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have no creds to really comment but if I payed 40K$CAD, or as you Americans pay 25K$USD or whatever, I would be calling teh dealer demanding they "do something". All I can say is that if blacksmoke came out of my new car i would want a new one or at least a full and total diag to be run at their expense and a temporary car to get me from A to B........I would then pick apart the results of teh diag so critically and annoyingly (is that even a word??) until they basically got me a new one.

Seems really odd however that that would happen. Dosen't make sense at all.
I agree... blow it out good on purpose.. say get it out on the open road and cruise at 90 to 100 mph for about 30 seconds or several minutes based on how far a stretch you can find to go that fast!....
After that you shouldn't have that happen.. if it does, then something is wrong.

If you have been "really" babying your car and driving slow and never getting it up to decent speeds, you could be getting carbon deposits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts