Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filthy Defined:
1. Covered or smeared with filth; disgustingly dirty.
2. Obscene; scatological.
3. Vile; nasty:

Mr. Coastal Dave replied to what he called my ‘filthy post.’ Said post did not include one inappropriate word. In fact the gravamen of the post was to complain about his lack of response to phone calls and emails sent to him asking when ordered products would ship.

Mr. Coastal Dave spent considerable verbiage explaining he is a supporter of hybrids and that he makes innovative products for the car. Nowhere in his 522 word post did he deal with his lack of communication with people who have placed orders for his products.

It would have been more productive if, instead of patting himself on the back and further suggesting that I, [and probably anyone else who has asked him when their orders will ship] to “remove yourself from the pre-order group which was created for previous customers.“

He also wrote “I will continue to offer former customers special deals and ordering arrangements.”

I am wondering how one gets to be a former customer when this gentleman will neither give an estimated ship date or communicate with customers who have requested hat he answer their inquiries about ship dates.

If Mr. Coastal Dave has a limited staff and not enough time to answer inquiries. I suggest that he, from time to time, post information on Prius On line explaining when a specific product of his will actually begin to ship. This will save him much time and satisfy customers who have placed orders and are waiting for the product to arrive.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
AC,
Although I think many people agree with you that it is frustrating to not have better communications and the long waits for products you aren't sure when or if you'll ever get, I think your tactics in addressing the problem are counter productive.

If there is a good point to Dave's reply to you it should be evident that his dedication is to Hybrids. Many times, many places people have repeated that Dave's business with Prius is a family business and a sideline....not his main livelyhood.

I think that continuing your rant will serve only to drive Dave away from his business of producing products for Prius and other hybrids.

I do, completely, understand why you are frustrated. But, you are out no money, you've not been harmed. If you feel his business practices are not to your liking then talk with your wallet. Cancel your orders and move on. If someone asks you can, of course, share your opinion and experience. But openly attacking him does no one any good at all.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
It simply boils down to the fact that Coastal Dave is the "ONLY" supplier for the products offered. You can go "no place else" so if you are really dying for the buttons and bells you will wait him out and cross your fingers. It isn't as though any readers of this site don't have a clue as there has been this written documentation for the past year. He makes a good product, obviously fair priced and really needs an "intern" to handle his correspondence.
It's a little like buying on "E" bay. The dealer with the "great" communification gets the big leeway and kudos on feedback. Dave has this one little problem and by now his future customers should expect it and be prepared. It seems as though, if you can wait him out and cut him some slack, you will be satisfied.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would prefer that Dave not get <crude euphemism for seriously annoyed> and quit doing Prius stuff.

At the same time, proper customer service helps calm people down...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have to agree with Efusco - If in fact you are out no money, you have not suffered harm. Now had he run your credit card, cashed your check -entirely different story. Until or unless that happens you have no grounds for a complaint really. I guess you could always go and try to find stuff for our cars elsewhere right? I believe Dave is doing the best he can to meet our needs given it is likely a home business.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have bought and installed several items from Coastal and I did not have any problems. I was very pleased by the rapid response to the question I had about installing the EV switch.

Roger

mudflaps, EV switch, front end protector

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ok, suppose Walmart sold widgets, and was the only place to get said widgets. You go into the store, find no widgets. You find a clerk who ignores you. You go to customer service, but nobody's there.

When you did find the manager, his remark was "Go somewhere else and quit complaining". When you file a written critical but civil complaint on their message board, along with others' complaints, you find it deleted. Remember, this is the only place to get widgets.

Wouldn't you be upset with Walmart?

Wouldn't it be better if the manager said "I am sorry, we are having a time getting widgets made. It may be a long time before we can get widgets in. We have an 800 number where you can find the status of the widgets, or if you prefer, you can check this website, and see when we hope to have widgets in".

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
It seems to me that both sides have gotten their message across. Maybe the communication issue will improve. I suggest ending these "Coastal Dave" threads and get back to discussing what this board is all about - the Prius.

That's my 2 cents worth. Amen.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I think part of the confusion arises from a misunderstand of what "placing an order for a Nav kit"' means. When I "ordered" mine last February on the website, I understood (from the wording on the website) that it was a "PRE-order" not an order, and that no delivery date was known or promised. The advantage of the PRE-order was to get a discounted price.

It was stated that after the actual orders were taken (at an undefined future date), there would be a 6-8 week delivery wait. Therefore I neither recieved, not expected to receive, an email confirming my "order," since no actual order had yet taken place.

The current website is now accepting "orders," at the new higher price, and as indicated before, expecting a 6-8 week delay before shipment.

None of this was a surprise to me, but if people thought their "pre-order" was an order, perhaps that is why they feel they have been mistreated.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The delay issue wasn't limited to the viewtech or the nav. Many ordered stuff that was normally available, but after waiting a long time, clients could not reach anyone to get a status, nor did they get an acknowledgement/confirmation that the order was even received. With web based transactions, where things can go wrong, feedback is essential, preferably by most by email.

From what I remember, even the pre-orders indicated 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
KTPhil said:
I think part of the confusion arises from a misunderstand of what "placing an order for a Nav kit"' means. When I "ordered" mine last February on the website, I understood (from the wording on the website) that it was a "PRE-order" not an order, and that no delivery date was known or promised. The advantage of the PRE-order was to get a discounted price.

It was stated that after the actual orders were taken (at an undefined future date), there would be a 6-8 week delivery wait. Therefore I neither recieved, not expected to receive, and email confirming my "order," since no actual order had yet taken place.

The current website is now accepting "orders," at the new higher price, and as indicated before, expecting a 6-8 week delay before shipment.

None of this was a surprise to me, but if people thought their "pre-order" was an order, perhaps that is why they feel they have been mistreated.
This was my understanding as well. Maybe I don't understand where the problem is. I don't see a problem, especially since AC is not out any money.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is crazy. I just can't fathom the purpose of the recurring threads of complaint about http://www.coastaletech.com -- this guy Dave is a forum moderator here and he's built (or assembled the technologies necessary to create) useful after-market upgrades for the Prius in its current model and the previous ("Classic") model and now he's going on with the Highlander.

I've looked at the Coastal site and -- aside from being a really crappy Web site! :) -- it does a good job of stating the expected delays and lead times for order fullfillment. So it's a matter of a well-informed consumer looking at the information on the given Web site to set their own expectations in terms of product or service and time-frame.

There's no apparent question that -- once the product arrives -- the customer is satisfied with the product, it's all about people expecting instant gratification, which is truly ironic for a Prius driver because we all had to wait for our cars ... :)

In balance, it does sound like Coastaletech is making money and taking orders, so they need to do something to improve customer service if there really are emails and voicemails going unanswered for too long -- the facts seem clear that customers are not getting timely replies to email (and I think the reality today is that we all expect our emails to get answered within a day or two at the most) so that's a big problem in terms of credibility as a vendor, but that gives no grounds for the attacks I've been reading here.

Anyhoot, good luck to Dave and the Coastal company, I trust he has the good humour and grace to let all this nonsense hit the floor and go ignored -- let's hope they're putting their time and energy into products and production.

Personally, there's a ton of things I want to plug-n-play with my Prius, so I hope folks can just sit back patiently and let all these various Prius-related companies work on their products without having to fend off senseless attacks.

There. Glad I got that off my chest!

Cheers,

ps. Whoops, there's more. In terms of a disclaimer, I should add that I don't know anyone in the Prius world, Coastal, Dave or ... well ... anyone ... I'm a Porsche guy and I happen to have had some success in that world ... this thing with people complaining about Coastal just reminds me how it's all but impossible to get stuff done and keep customer expectations in check. I'm not even really saying Dave or Coastal is right or wrong, they're just whatever they are and criticizing them for not living up to unrealistic expectations is just a distraction and unwelcome heartache. Seriously. I mean to use the word heatache because I've been there and I know the feeling. It's heartache when you're trying and working and you get home tired and check out the Web forums only to find people complaining that you're not doing more. When the popularity and market demand grow too quickly for a little company, the growing pains hurt everyone -- the owners, the employees, the customers and everyone involved. Even the UPS guy gets upset!

But I'm no fool. For all I know, Dave is not doing a good job, maybe he really needs to think about customer service differently, but from what I can see, he and his company are putting out good product that works just as advertised, so if the rest of the operation is not as good, well, it's a disappointment, but those sorts of shortcomings can be handled without the recrimination and literally the vilification I see here.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think you forget, there are only two things others are complaining about:

1. substantially delayed delivery
2. lack of communication about point 1, as well as lack of acknowlegement of receipt of order.

These two issues can KILL a company. People don't like to be ignored.
Now if point one was communicated properly and accurately, I believe point one would be overlooked by all.

The only "expected delay" that Dave has communicated is regarding the pre-orders. The timeframe he posted: 6-8 weeks, has come and went 3 times over, with no updates. THIS is what we all are asking him to improve.

Well, there is one other thing, but I agree it is a smaller point.
We are teased about stuff that is in the works, but never appears.
I really would like to have a ICE run/friction brake force indicator, but it is not available. It has been "coming soon" for as long as I have been on this site, which is 9 months, but I have seen posts that it was there much longer than that. It is a tease.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have to agree with Dan The Man. There's something about dealing over the internet where the customer needs a lot of assurance. Amazon is very good about this, stating the expected ship time of a product up front and sending emails at purchase and ship times. They also have a good return policy.

"The customer is always right", ne c'est pas?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
And when points one and two were presented to Dave, instead of just acknowledging the problem and trying to fix it, he got defensive and gave excuses.

I had a situation with my ex causing me to lose my car insurance without my knowlege. It was an honest mistake, but a serious one, as I could have been arrested for something like that. Instead of appologizing for the inconvienience, she got mad at me because the insurance returned the credit she got for the cancelation. If she had taken responsibility for her part, I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but since she never took responsibility for the consequenses of her actions, it really bugged me.
Same thing happened when she used my calling card after we broke up.
All it takes is an honest, sincere "I am sorry", and not a defensive posture.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Guys, isn't it time to drive a stake through this thread? Point made. It's not fun or productive anymore, and just spleen venting and makes folks angry. :cry:

·
Registered
248 Posts
My take on Coastal E Tech is that they make things I want not that I need. Nice stuff and I would "like" sooner than later but again I do not need these things. I can wait. BTW I have always gotten good service. I was told I had to wait I have no beef.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sanny, I think we need a steak, garlic and possibly a silver sword! I agree with you, we've been around this block before. Off with its head! :(

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Sanny, I think we need a steak, garlic and possibly a silver sword!
Well, if you are suggesting a steak and garlic (as opposed to a stake and garlic), we'll need a chianti and a fork, too. And a few red and white checked napkins. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts