Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has installed amatuer radio equipment and antennas in their new 2010 Prius.

1. What type of antenna and mount did you use?
2. Where did you mount the radio and control head?
3. How did you interface to the 12-volt power system.

I plan to install my TM-D700A in the vehicle. Any insights would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, the board does not have enough active users to answer your question.

I used "L" brackets under the dash to attach the rig control head. I ran the wires from the control head under the carpet to the rear trunk. The rig itself is mounted in the plastic tray with the power cable running to the battery. Holes can be drilled in the plastc tray.

The antenna is a Larsen through the window glass on the right rear opera window. Get some 3/4"
shrink tubing to put over the coil on the antenna if you have a coil. Without the shrink tubing, the air will really whistle through the coil at speed.

Good luck.

Stan Bringer
Fremont, CA
WA6IRZ

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am not an amateur radio operator, but am familiar with other electronics.

Please note that the 12v battery in the Prius is quite small, as it was only intended to power the hybrid system computers and a few 12v accessories for short periods (when the ICE is cycled off).

I suspect that a radio with any significant transmitting power will quickly drain the 12v battery, if the ICE is not running. And, you should probably consider adding a "normal" sized battery in parallel to the standard one, especially if your radio will be operated for any length of time with the car in accessory mode.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't yet tried mounting any antennas, but I can answer the 12V question. You can get a few hundred watts or even a kW of 12V apart from the 12V system using some parts from eBay. It's all explained here:

http://priups.com/ham-12v/more-more-12v.htm (1kW)
http://priups.com/ham-12v

Using the native 12V system while the car is running should be OK with low transmit power, but as the previous poster points out the small 12V battery is just that - small.

Richard (WA2IKL)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts