Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get more than 46 mpg by the end of a tank, with AC.
The elevation here is around 5200 ft. Is anyone else wondering if high altitude gets worse milage? :?

·
Registered
154 Posts
hyperion said:
Every newspaper article I've seen in the LA Times, New York Times, Boston Globe, and The New Bedford Standard Times where the owner of a Prius was interviewed, all stated that their overall yearly milage has broken down to about 45 MPG.
That's also what I get here in flat Finland....

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Don't compare your body to the people in the magazines, and don't compare your mileage to the people who brag about theirs. With mixed driving of longer trips and short errands, you are probably just about average.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't think altitude hurts. The elevation in Colorado Springs is 6000 feet, and at 4700 miles we're getting a little over 52 mpg. I think the single most important factor is your typical trip. Our mpg invariably goes down when we have a bunch of short, start-and-stop trips, and goes up when we have longer, steadier trips. (We were even under 40 mpg for the first 58 miles of our current tank. Fortunately, we then had to drive DOWN the mountain!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed

Most of my driving has been 2 to 10 mile trips. I think I'm ok with it. I think I'm going to drive with a lead foot my next tank to get an idea of what the worst milage might be. Either way I can go twice as far on half the gas. Thanks for all yall's responce, I feal better.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ah, that's the reason. Not enough time for the car to warm up and build the MPG avg back up.
With those trips, you're getting supurb mileage. I would have figured 35.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts