Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, a while ago Toyota announced that all their models will have a hybrid option by 200x. But I can't remember what year it is, can anyone else? I think our next car might be a Sienna, and if there was going to be a hybrid one soon, we might wait. Which brings me to the second part of the question, anyone hear anything about the Sienna going Hybrid? Seems like they could use everything from the Highlander, as I think they are the same 6 cylinder engine.

Spike

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I recall something about 2010 being the model year that Toyota would have a hybrid in each vehicle. But I'm sure someone else has a link to more reliable fiction than mine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Sienna's going hybrid soon. Maybe about the same time as the Camry?? (estimated 2007) I'll see if I can't get more info out of my husband when he gets home from work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All To Hybrid

Last week Toyota announced that they will build 07 Camry Hybrids in Lexington, KY starting in late 2006. The company plans to produce 48000 per year. This will require them to add 800 new jobs.
wfjw

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Mazda5 mini mini-van. Fits 6 people and starts at Cdn$19,995. The GT model starts at $22,795 and adds a power moonroof, 17" alloys (up from 16" alloys), foglights, theft-deterrent system, side airbags and side curtains. Only two options are available - automatic transmission and automatic climate control with A/C both available for Cdn$1,000 each. Fully loaded GT at $24,795 is cheaper than a base Camry LE, Accord DX (w/ opt. automatic), Altima 2.5S (w/ opt. auto) and Mazda6 GS (w/ opt. auto)

For comparison, a 2005 Corolla LE starts at $21,600, 2005 Civic Si at $21,500 (manual), 2005 Mazda3 GT Sport starts at $21,485 (manual) (The GT Sedan starts at $21,445). In short? It's a very affordable family vehicle.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The Mazda5 is a fine option for an economical mini van that you can purchase right now but you park it in a shopping mal parking lot next to a Voyager, Windstar, Sieanna, or Honda and you would have to walk to within four feet of them and hunt for the small chrome identification to tell the difference of any of them. The Voyager and Windstar are even comparable with price. The HHR however is expected to be comparably equipped less expensive and will be identifiable from across the parking lot as something completely "different"
The fender treatment alone even offers the options of many two and three tone paint jobs.
The ecotec engines offer emmissions in the Prius range and as yet only the statement "high MPG" to meet todays gas prices have been stated. If the figure reaches 35 MPG, I'm sold. Also the fact the car is being made in the U.S. has got to be a big draw.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Mazda 5 is more of a wagon, and a sharp looking one at that. But Mazda is owned by Ford, and that worries me. We saw one at the car show and liked it. But I am looking for the capability to carry more than 5 people, hence looking at the Sienna or Odessey. Or did you mean the MPV?

As far as the HHR. Yeah, right. That's funny Hyperion. I would be caught driving a GM product. I have no quest to fix my car that often.

And I can ID the different mini-vans from a good 50 yards away or more. I guess that just makes me a bigger auto enthusiast than you.

Out the door the Voyager and Windstar are cheaper -- but then there is a reason they are cheaper. There is a reason they have to offer an "employee discount" to move their product, while Toyota is thinking of raising prices to protect the US auto makers. Or that with three Honda dealers within 25 miles of my home, I can't find an Odessey on the lot.

The Aztec was/is different too. You don't see me, or anyone else for that matter, beating a path to the Pontiac dealer to buy one.

The emmissions will not be in the range of the Prius. The friggin Corolla isn't within range of the Prius and that is a very efficient car. No regular engine configuration can compete with a car that shuts its engine off when not needed. Beside's the Atkinson cycle, fuel cell bladder, coolant thermos, etc.
I would be surprised to see the HHR get 35 MPG in real world driving given its aerodynamic profile. Maybe it will, but I would be seriously surprised.
After all, the HHR is just an answer to the PT Cruiser. Do you really think a year after its realease there will still be people waiting to buy one? Unlike the current gen Prius, where it is well over a year and a half since deliveries started. Will it have all the other features of the Prius? Doubtful. It isn't hard to imagine a $5-8,000 less than a Prius, after all, they exist now.

Mmmm, two tone paint jobs, just like the 70's.

And GM is also saying the new H3 is family friendly and economical; at 16MPG city, I can't remember highway. Their idea of economical and mine are very different.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
No sense debating with a mind set. Do you really think a Hummer was made for a daily commuter. It's advertising states it is the best and safest off road" vehicle made in the world. Most stable of any built and would you have any owner tuck it away in the garage for just his off road sorties?
The price of the Prius keeps rising and if you think it is to "help" GM out I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying. Sometime soon, Toyota might be close to breaking even selling the car.
If you are too young to have enjoyed living in the seventies I feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well in Canada, I believe the cheapest would be the Kia Sedona at Cdn$25k and it's a very heavy and thirsty vehicle. Don't worry about the Ford connection. I don't see any Ford bits in it (at least the visible parts). It is sold worldwide so I don't think they'll risk quality cuts. The MPV is okay I guess if you want 7 but the Mazda5 comes with a 4 cylinder while all other minivans come with 6. It's 38kg heavier than a Canadian-spec Camry XLE. Looking at fuel consumption and engine output, you're probably better with the 5-spd manual.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The price of the Prius keeps rising? Since when. The MSRP barely changed from 2004 to 2005. No more so than any other vehicle. Since then, nothing.
And Toyota specifically announced that they were going to raise the prices of the 2006 vehicles, not just Prius or even hybrid for that matter, because they were worried about the idea of GM and Ford going belly up (or at least running into serious difficulty), and the backlash it might create against the Japanese makers. Toyota or Honda could certainly afford to mimic the giveaways that GM started and Ford and Chrysler are emulating, but they don't need to. They are still selling cars.

Whether the H3/2/1 were made to be a daily commuter that is how 99% of the miles on them will be spent. The majority will never venture off road even once. And most stable? Untill you swerve to avoid something on the highway and end up on your roof! Physics dictates that all things being equal, and SUV is less stable not more so.

Even most pundits have given up the idea that the Prius is a loss leader for Toyota. It may or may not have the normal profit margin, but few still think they are losing money. Otherwise they would be in trouble with the numbers they have sold. It wouldn't seriously hurt them, but they would notice. In about a year and a half they sold more than 4 times what they hoped to sell in the first year here. And initially people thought they were crazy to expect to sell 20,000 versions of a niche vehicle, now they have sold over 90,000.

And calling mind set, have you read some of your posts? Or do you find them difficult to stomach too?

I don't know about enjoying the seventies; I had much more fun in the 80s and 90s. Towards the end of the 70s I fun, although some of my memories are a little "hazzy." I do remember my mom was foolish enough to buy American cars, both Ford and Chevrolet and I rember the constant trips to the shops for repair.

I'll bet money there will be a) a recall in the first year of the HHR b) they will be thick on dealer lots well before 6 mos c) that GM will resort to promotions to move them before they have been out a year d) they will pollute several times more than the Prius -- several times.

Spike

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Have you ever checked out the service bays at your Toyota dealers when you were there for your lube jobs? Last time I was in, there was an Avalon in with the transmission on the floor and a couple of Camrys with the injector systems removed and one with a head off. They have service depts. just like any other manufacturer because all vehicles occasionally break. And of course you definately know that Hummer owners use their cars 90% for commuting.
We all attempt to buy from a reputable dealer that hopefully will have an honest and knowledgable service dept.
And Hirose has a post dated this week with a note about the three recent price increases for the Prius.
The best knowledge you can get about auto reliability is personal. Not whats fed to you by JD Powers or consumer reports. A "for instance" I bought a 1988 Cadillac Seville in 88 and drove it for ten years and 110,000 miles until I retired in 1988 when we decided we needed something a little bigger for our forcast two roundtrips a year between Texas and Massachusetts. The Cads history was oil changes and tires and brakes. Period. Traded it in on a 1988 Plymouth Voyager. which we drove until 1996. 122,000 miles and lubes and tire and brake changes. That went for a 1996 Voyager that was turned in for the Prius in early 2004. 109,000 miles and lubes and brake and tire changes. I wanted to check out the hybrid movement.
The Prius has been trouble free but recalled twice. I like my dealer, he doesn't know very much about the car.
We've always had a second car. A BMW 325 for years, neat car that needed constant tuneups. A Honda Civic which was fine around town but a little uncomfortable for a long trip. Traded that for a small DOHC four cylinder Grand Prix which was used on trips to Florida and San Francisco. So good, that when we decided we could hack it as a single car family when we purchased the 96 van we gave it to one of our sons.
I didn't purcase the Prius to save gas money 16 months ago, I was curious about what I then thought would be the next generation of cars. I don't believe that will be so now account of the marked price differences and limited production of all hybrid models. When every Camry on the streets is hybrid I'll change my opinion but not as long as there is a line punching out standard Camrys account of price, at the same time.
I'm in no way trying to be dogmatic about this. Sorry your mother had a couple "lemons"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts