Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last evening at dusk I had my Prius key fob in my shirt pocket as I walked out to my Prius. Suddenly a small bat flew into me, hitting my shirt pocket and bouncing off.

Has anybody else experienced this? Anyone know of an organized ring of Transylvanian hybrid thieves?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Indeed, I was walking toward my Prius and getting ready to drive away with my key fob in my shirt pocket and a bat hit me as well!!!

Turns out I had forgotten to open the door for my wife.

Coincidence??

RobbW :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Marquil,

The species, Trachops, is the only known bat to use passive sonar for hunting. All other bats use active sonar. The Trachops primarily eat frogs and use the sound of the frog's croak to home in on their prey.
The Trachops, or FOB (frog obsessed bat), is found from southern Mexico to Brazil, including the island of Trinidad.

Here's one in action:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461575349_ ... g_Bat.html

RobbW,

:lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Trachops mating call

Yes, not many people know that the fobs (to a bat) sound kind of like a Trachops mating call. It's something in some of the fobs that vibrates when you use them. You can just brush the bats off, they only bite frogs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks!!! I needed that!! :lol: :lol:

I haven't laughed this hard in ages... not that I discount the original post, it's just that in the context of the National Threat Level having been raised from yellow to orange today (or whatever colors they are), and all the other general goings on in life today, the idea of suddenly learning that I now also need to watch out for bats mistaking the key fob for a frog just struck me as, well, funny! (For sure, that's not in the "manual"! Maybe somebody should alert Toyota about this...) All best wishes for a great week ahead, anyway! :D

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm not sure that I am cofortable with having something in my front pants pocket that is sending out a mating call for bats. Think I will issue my own "orange alert". :wink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
ROTFLMAO.....Oh, I needed that...

You guys are freakin' hilarious.... I don't doubt that the original poster had a bat bounce off him. Whether or not it was due to the key fob is debatable. More likely that a large bug had just flown in front of him. (I'm not aware of any bats that hunt frogs.)

I especially liked the second post...

::::wiping tears from my eyes::::

I'm gonna go outside and play with my key fob, see if I can catch any flying mammals....

Heee heee heee........

·
Registered
73 Posts
:lol:

To reiterate, unless you live in this area, "...southern Mexico to Brazil, including the island of Trinidad." Then there are no known bats that use passive sonar (listening for sound waves, in this case the croak emitted by frogs (SnakePuncess, watch the video!), or your key's wireless signal, for hunting) in your area.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think you folks are all missing the point here...

What if it was a Transylvanian Bat? And what if the frog got away?

Am I the only one who's concerned about vampire frogs? :shock:

:D

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Re: work in reverse?

Bob Allen said:
Any chance you could use a frog to open up your Prius? If you lost your fob in Trinidad?
If it didn't work the first time you could reboot...reboot...reboot...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts