Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a rather humorous event at a gas station yesterday. With the price of gas today, I "rocked" the car when the pump shut off to slosh the gas in the bladder & put in a few more ounces of gas.

The doors locked and I couldn't get into the car. My wife was in the car and reached over and opened the driver's door.

Horn blaring & lights flashing caused quite a commotion - and attracted the attention of a State cop at the station.

Not to be outsmarted by a rolling computer, I removed the key from the remote, closed the door, and unlocked it with the key. That silenced the alarm and everything was back to normal.

Lots of amazing new things in my '05 Prius

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Logan01 said:
Had a rather humorous event at a gas station yesterday. With the price of gas today, I "rocked" the car when the pump shut off to slosh the gas in the bladder & put in a few more ounces of gas.

The doors locked and I couldn't get into the car. My wife was in the car and reached over and opened the driver's door.

Horn blaring & lights flashing caused quite a commotion - and attracted the attention of a State cop at the station.

Not to be outsmarted by a rolling computer, I removed the key from the remote, closed the door, and unlocked it with the key. That silenced the alarm and everything was back to normal.

Lots of amazing new things in my '05 Prius
Just like a pinball machine. You "tilted"!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's weird, since the car does not have a motion detector.
You could have just 'unlocked' the car with the fob. That is supposed to turn the alarm off. I have done that when the car went off in passive mode.

Ah, come to think of it, attempting to power up the car when the alarm is armed I believe will also set the alarm off unless it is a legit power up (with fob in slot, or in car with SKS).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, DanMan

You're right, I had no idea I even had an alarm on this car. The darned thing disabled the keyless entry too. No way was I going to get in the car without the key.

My wife was in the car, she said as soon as I rocked the car all the doors locked. I couldn't get in from the outside, and she couldn't unlock the doors from the inside by pressing the 'unlock' switch. When she pulled the handle to open the door, the alarm went off.

I didn't think about pressing the panic button on the fob. That turned the alarms on and off on my Sienna....... that might have turned it off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What´s that "panic button" on the keyfob? What does it do and why is it left out on the swedish market (and probably the rest of Europe).

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
sprett said:
What´s that "panic button" on the keyfob? What does it do and why is it left out on the swedish market (and probably the rest of Europe).
You press and hold the Panic button for a few seconds... And the alarm sounds on your Prius (horns beep and lights blink). It's so that you can draw attention to your car.

It's a favorite for car dealers to be able to find a car on a large lot (find the one that is alarming, it's the one that goes with that remote), and I've even used that trick to find my car in a big shopping mall parking lot when I forgot where I parked. My mother has used it on her car to get people to stop using the flat trunk/boot as a personal outdoor office space...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
sprett, to answer your question, our smart key fobs have three buttons on them. Lock, unlock, and a small red horn (panic button)
Manual states ... "Pushing the switch for one second blows the horn intermittently, and flashes the headlights, tail lights and emergency flashers and turns on the interior lights." "The panic switch is used to deter vehicle theft when you witness anyone attempting to break into or damage your car."
The alarm will last for one minute. To stop the alarm midway, do the follows: Push any switch on the key fob, Put the hybrid system in the IG-ON mode. The panic mode does not work in IG-ON mode. Page 35, 04 manual.

·
Registered
344 Posts
sounds like you've got passive mode enabled on your alarm system. i don't know if the locking doors correlated to you rocking the car... but after a certain amount of time the doors will auto lock and opening them from the inside (as your wife did) will set the alarm off.

particularly annoying at gas stations and when you have someone else in the car.

if it is actually passive mode, you can get it switched over to active mode at the dealer. they just plug in the scantool and change it. don't know how much they'll charge or if they will charge at all. some do and some don't.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Logan01 said:
I "rocked" the car when the pump shut off to slosh the gas in the bladder & put in a few more ounces of gas.
I know a lot of people try to get the most miles per tank they can but isn't this a bit extreme? I am trying to picture someone physically shaking their car to "stuff" more gas into it. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Passive mode does not lock the doors, or else it would have been useful.
Me thinks there's loose wireing there in the locking circuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts