Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't noticed this happening before during the three months that I've had this car. It's a #1 (don't laugh) and today, suddenly, the little red car symbol with a key inside it is flashing when the "key" is out of the car. It's not supposed to have an alarm system (I don't think) and doing the stuff in the manual about turning it on and off doesn't seem to do anything at all. Can anybody tell me what's going on...and what to do about it?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
fhenders said:
I hadn't noticed this happening before during the three months that I've had this car. It's a #1 (don't laugh) and today, suddenly, the little red car symbol with a key inside it is flashing when the "key" is out of the car. It's not supposed to have an alarm system (I don't think) and doing the stuff in the manual about turning it on and off doesn't seem to do anything at all. Can anybody tell me what's going on...and what to do about it?
See pages 20-21 of your 2004 Prius Owner's Manual.

The red car with a key on it is supposed to flash to indicate that the
engine immobilizer (theft deterrent system) is set. (All Prius come with an engine immobilizer.)

Pages 44-45 show that the same light is also used for the alarm system, if so equipped, and SE&SS instructions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts