Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just placed an order for an 05 Prius which has the Smart Key System. I understand how the Smart Key works but don't understand how the Smart Key and Alarm system work together.

How is the Smart Key system affected by the Alarm System?

What benifit does the Alarm System provide since the Smart Key system seems to have so many safety features; activates and deactivates the engine imobilizer, locks and unlocks the doors based on the transponder being within range?

If you have the Smart Key system is the Alarm nothing more than a horn that will sound if someone forces the door open?

I appriciate your help in this.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Alarm arms after the doors are closed and locked in any method, one being SKS, but the manual key, wireless remote, or the lock switch on the door armrest will do it too. I believe there is a 30 second arming delay.

Alarm is just that, an alarm. Sounds special alarm horn as well as the regular horn and flashes the hazards.

Immobilizer is a separate function that will not let power ECU and subsequently HV ECU to go on if there is not a fob in the slot with the right ID. SKS can be made to send the same code. Actually, I think it is actually the wireless remote code used for the purpose of the immobilizer with SKS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan,
Thanks for the reply.

Let me go at this a different way.

If I don't have the alarm does the Prius have any anti-theft security features built in?

Then, if you add the Smart Key System do you gain any additional anti-theft features?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yeah, the key/remote is absolutely, 100% required to start the car. Period. Wether you have SKS or not, you need the key/remote at least in the car (SKS,) or in the dash slot to start. If the key/remote isn't there, the car won't start.

Because this isn't a normal car, you can't force the starter to start the gas engine, no matter how good a car thief you are. You have to start the computer, which can't be done without the key/remote.

In other words: unless the thief gets your keys, the only way they're stealing your Prius is with a tow-truck. And with the keys, the alarm doesn't help.

As Dan said, the alarm is purely a noise-maker. The stock Prius has all the 'anti-theft' security it needs. (Although without the alarm, someone could break in and steal contents from inside the car without any alarm going off.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
First, you can't add the SKS. Too many parts: several oscillators (like 5), 2 integrated with the front door handles, SKS ECU, reconfiguration, wiring harness, etc.

You have an immoblizer. The car isn't easily going anywhere without the fob, though there has been talk that soon the rolling codes will be crackable.

I'll let you in on a secret: ALL the cars actually have the alarm hardware, but Toyota has them disabled for packages that supposedly don't have them. It has been found that it can be turned on with the scantool if the Glass Breakage Sensor is not installed. If it is installed, supposedly a yellow wire on a connector on the driver J/B going to the body ECU needs to be cut. The connector is B6 I believe. R3200 instructions say 16P, but there is no such connector in the wiring diagram. That yellow wire is also undocumented, but some things are kept hush-hush by Toyota so that sneakyness like this isn't easily defeated.

Dealers charge $400+ for the alarm versus $130 for GBS if you have the alarm. The thing is, the GBS installation is the time consuming part. The alarm itself takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the Prius have a tow alarm?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan,
The Prius I ordered does have the SKS in the package #3. I was trying to understand the anti-theft protection provided by each of these; Prius itself, the SKS, the Alarm. Based on what I was reading I could not see that the alarm did much other than noise. For me the primary benifit of an alarm is the starter lockout. But the Prius does that without the alarm. I don't need the noise maker.

Cars ordered in the Houston area can add the alarm for $249 if it's done at port of entry. If you wait till it's on the lot then they're quoting over $400. Actually, my salesman knows of all unsold cars coming to their lot 5 days before the ship hits port. They try to sell the cars before port and that way they can add any option (not package) at port and it's about half cost of work done once the car is on the dealers lot.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
ALL Prius have an engine immobilizer, so that alone should get you some auto insurance discount. (Car won't start without a pre-recognized ID chipped key/fob.)

All US 2001-2003 Prius come with an alarm - horn honks and lights flash if someone tries to open the doors or hood (and I discovered the trunk) while the alarm is set. manual key in the door/trunk will not cause the alarm to go off (like it did in our previous Saturn SL2).

Some US Prius packages come with the door/hood alarm. It can be added after the fact.

You can add the Glass Breakage Sensor to any Prius that already has the alarm. It's basically a microphone that's tuned to the sound of vibrating/shattering glass. (so, be careful and check the sensitivity - you don't want your alarm going off during a thunderstorm or at an airport, for example...)

AFAIK there is no tow alarm on the Prius. For that, you'd have to add something like the Guidepoint Systems' "Security Fence" or LoJack's "Early Warning Recovery System."

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
mrv said:
Some US Prius packages come with the door/hood alarm. It can be added after the fact.
Actually, all packages come with the needed hardware, however some packages have it deactivated. Activating it requires the scantool to turn on DOR. If you add GBS, then you also have to cut/remove a yellow wire in the J/B.

mrv said:
You can add the Glass Breakage Sensor to any Prius that already has the alarm. It's basically a microphone that's tuned to the sound of vibrating/shattering glass. (so, be careful and check the sensitivity - you don't want your alarm going off during a thunderstorm or at an airport, for example...)
Actually the GBS can be added to any car. The VIP RS3200 is the GBS with additional instructions on activating the dormant alarm. What you are really paying is 'royalies'. I'd like to know how much Toyota themselves get for 'installing' VIP RS3200. That's the only part that could be argued to be legally required for feature 'royalties'. Rest is dealer markup.

mrv said:
AFAIK there is no tow alarm on the Prius. For that, you'd have to add something like the Guidepoint Systems' "Security Fence" or LoJack's "Early Warning Recovery System."
You probably could add a shaker switch to the hood courtesy switch circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts