Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to run the air conditioning while the car is stopped? We have dogs who like to go everywhere with us but who would get too hot to leave in the car in the summer without air conditioning. It would be nice to be able to take them, leave them in the car for short periods like running into a store, and not worry about them getting overheated. If it is possible, would it run the battery down? Which battery runs the air conditioning?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sev said:
Is it possible to run the air conditioning while the car is stopped? We have dogs who like to go everywhere with us but who would get too hot to leave in the car in the summer without air conditioning. It would be nice to be able to take them, leave them in the car for short periods like running into a store, and not worry about them getting overheated. If it is possible, would it run the battery down? Which battery runs the air conditioning?
By stopped I'm assuming you mean ICE off? There are, like in most cars, 3 ignition modes...

ACC--push button once no foot on brake--allows only radio, windows, etc.
IG ON--2nd push without foot on brake--this allows you to use the A/C
READY--foot on brake, push button...and you're off.

So, you could park the car, leave it in either Ready or IGON mode and the A/C will run. But, in IG ON I think you could drain the HV battery (correct me if I wrong out there!). I also don't know how easy it would be to lock the car in that state. In READY clearly the car is ripe for theft.

I'd say, if you're really going to be fast then there's no risk leaving the animal in the car with windows all down a few inches. If you have to stop for longer don't bring the dogs. I'd suggest that for any car.
--evan

·
Registered
884 Posts
Dogs and Kids

In Arizona it is illegal to leave pets and children unattended in your car. If you travel here, you might come back to your windows broken out, dogs and/or kids in foster care, and then you'll get arrested for abuse.

I am sure you love your pets, so I advise you take them with you (out of the car) or leave them home -- you'll both be happier.

(Try sitting in a closed car with all power off in Arizona from May through September. It's a killer!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. We would never jeopardize our dogs...they are members of the family. I have been in a closed car in AZ in the summer...it got to 140 degrees in under 10 minutes. Anyway, I guess even the Prius can't keep things cool without the ICE running, and that is not something we would do unattended. I take it the air conditioning runs off the 12 volt battery rather than the high voltage one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Major thing to understand here:

1) Up through the '03 Prius the compressor is run by the ICE (there may be some oddball cases when the HV battery turns MG2 which turns the ICE, but if they exist at all, those cases are rare).

2) The A/C fans, control system, etc runs on 12V.

3) There are only two things that run on the HV battery: MG1/MG2 and the 12V battery charger. In addition, the HV battery only is used then the car is in "Ready" mode (I'm ignoring startup).

So if the car is not "Ready" there is no A/C. If the car is "Ready" the ICE could start up at any time, and someone can get in and drive away. Thus, no A/C without everything being turned on, pretty much like a regular car.

The '04 has some form of electric drive for the compresor, but I don't know how that works.

Burns

·
Registered
81 Posts
A/C in 2004

The 2004 owners manual (as they say, RTFM) says to be careful running things too long in ACC or IG (whatever that means??!?) mode, as you may run the 12v (small) battery down.

However, two pushs of the Power button, with no foot on brake, gives you green LED lite and the ability to run the A/C (for a limited time).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts