Toyota Prius Forum banner

Air Filter Assembly Questions

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Buggman 
#1 ·
The air cleaner cover that pops off to allow the changing of the pleated air filter also has what appears to be a mesh-type filter that the air must also pass through before it enters the air intake throttle pipe. Is this second filter really a filter or does it have another purpose? What maintenance is needed for this? Should it be cleaned periodically and maybe coated with a fine film of oil? I did not see anything about it in my owners manual or in the repair manual (Volume 2- Diagnostics, Engine, and Hybrid Components) that I just received (cost about $110).

#2 ·
I talked to a parts man at my dealer and he said the filter looking device in the air filter cover is there to absorb or adsorb gasoline vapors that come back up through the throttle body tube when the motor is not running to help reduce emissions. I had never heard of this before, but since the engine stops fequently under some driving conditions, it may significantly reduce emissions through the throttle body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.