we can add this to my long list of problems

tried my ac today for the first time in a while
ac light comes on
fan comes on
ice also comes on

no cold air, i left it running for a while
but nothing happened

if anyone can help
How long has it been since you've used the A/C? Only things I can think of is either the coolant has leaked away or the coolant pump needs to be replaced...Please note that I am neither an A/C nor auto expert...:D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
By coolant, I presume you meant refrigerant. Coolant would provide cabin heat.

Be sure you have the cabin temp low enough. If the car is a 2004-2006 (you didn't specify your model year), ICE does not need to be running to supply AC as the compressor is electric similar to the MGs.
Also with 2004-2006, the AC button being indicated on does not mean the compressor is actually running, but rather the compressor is enabled, and will run as needed at the appropriate speed for the conditions and desired temp presented to the ECU.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DanMan32 said:
By coolant, I presume you meant refrigerant. Coolant would provide cabin heat.

Be sure you have the cabin temp low enough. If the car is a 2004-2006 (you didn't specify your model year), ICE does not need to be running to supply AC as the compressor is electric similar to the MGs.
Also with 2004-2006, the AC button being indicated on does not mean the compressor is actually running, but rather the compressor is enabled, and will run as needed at the appropriate speed for the conditions and desired temp presented to the ECU.
Dan, check the posted topic ... it's a 2001 Prius.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I hate it when people put vital information in the subject line only.

Put it in the body of the message too people! The subject line is only supposed to be a summary, not to be the only source of vital iinformation!

rant off.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
With a Classic Prius, the use of the AC compressor is available if the front windshield position is chosen (AC light does not come on), or if you press the AC button (light comes on). AC compressor is run off of the gasoline engine, so for the compressor to run the engine will come on. Best way to get the engine on is to use the MAX AC button, but the amount of cooling will depend on the temperature setting (relative to the cabin temperature). If you have turned the temperature way down below actual temperature and you still do not have cooling, you may have a refridgerant leak, and may need to get it recharged and patched. (Second case I've heard of if that's the case - the first was a 2004 over on the Prius-UK yahoogroup...)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DanMan32 said:
Put it in the body of the people!
sorry about that
it also says 2001 prius I in my signature

anyway
i guess this something i will not be able to
fix myself
so off to toyota i go again
i'm guessing 700$
if i'm lucky (yes pessimistic)

please look for my next thread
"headlights have never worked on my 2001 prius"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/quote]So tiny![/quote]

tiny but it works

so i guess that since there is more air
coming through with the ac on than with just the fan
but no cold air
that means the compressor is working
i hope that's good news

i just had a lot of body work done on the car
which included a front bumper
i wonder if something could have happened then

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well,just got the car back

"recharge system. unable to locate leak"
that's $115.00
the ac is currently working

they did find the radiator was leaking
that's $900.00
i'm thinking of living with that one for a while
there is a little coolant residue on both upper corners
and no leaks under the car (parking spot is clean)
i'll keep an eye on the coolant levels

problem is, they need to remove the radiator to
further diagnose the possible ac leak
so if does, i'll most likely have to
replace the rad at same time (maybe get a wreckers rad)

i like to keep the car in top shape but
i spent $1800.00 on body repairs last month
so the timing is poor

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mrv said:
can you go back to the body shop and tell them that they missed it? I would think that a leaking radiator should've been noticed at the repair time...
you would think so!
but i'm quite sure that nothing would come of it
and they did a great job on the car for relatively little money
so i want to stay on good terms with them
i will ask though

so according to the toyota mechanic
the prius aluminum radiator can not be repaired?
is this true
and what are the dangers in not repairing or replacing it
if i maintain coolant levels (as long as the leak is very slow)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Satanic Mechanic

On the first generation Prius the radiator and a/c condenser are a single unit and cannot be replaced separately.They should have mentioned that since the a/c will need to be recharged again when the radiator is replaced.You did not mention if they did a cooling system pressure test or if it was just a visual inspection.If you are adding coolant to refill that is verification of a leak but a visual inspection is not good enough in my opinion.

If you are losing coolant it could be a head gasket leak which would cause higher coolant temperature readings which a scanner would pick up and coolant can be detected by an exhaust gas analyser.Coolant moisture in the exhaust can damage your catalytic converter so your shop needs to stop resting on their shovels and let their coffee get cold.

An independent radiator shop can replace the unit if you need to save money.I had a timing belt replaced at a Honda dealership and they refilled the cooling system with an alcohol based coolant instead of glycol based to save themselves $5.

It is helpful to know the a/c pressure readings to see if the system just got a little low or completely empty.If there is no pressure the compressor is shut off by a switch to protect the compressor.You can get an instant read thermometer and put it in the vent it should read 40F.

The high side pressure is calculated by taking ambient temperature say 80F and multiplying by 2.5 and substituting temperature with pressure to get 200psi,the low side is around 40psi.I have a Honda that requires 12oz of freon a year and they cannot find the leak with a detector.My Honda was retrofitted to R134a and reads 38F with original hardware,pressure is at 220/38.When thermometer reads near 50F I know it is time to check pressure so cheap little thermometer is warning that attention is necessary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The high side pressure is calculated by taking ambient temperature say 80F and multiplying by 2.5 and substituting temperature with pressure to get 200psi,the low side is around 40psi.I have a Honda that requires 12oz of freon a year and they cannot find the leak with a detector.My Honda was retrofitted to R134a and reads 38F with original hardware,pressure is at 220/38.When thermometer reads near 50F I know it is time to check pressure so cheap little thermometer is warning that attention is necessary.

I take that to mean the temperature from the evaporator is 38 degrees F. I recently had the R12 replaced in my 4Runner with R134 and the dealer keeps making excuses as to why it won't cool. Someone once told me that the temperature from an air conditioner should be around 40 deg. but the dealer is trying to BS me with a figure of 8 degrees below ambient. Told me to turn down the fan speed if I wanted it cooler
We're heading to an auto air shop tomorrow !

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The evaporator temp is dependent on intake air temp and speed of air flow. However, if the air conditioning capacity to remove heat is very high, then the low temp limit may maintain the evaporator temp at 40 degrees, cycling the compressor on and off as the temp falls below 40F and then climbs higher when turned off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.