Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering purchasing a Prius. What is the general experience with the A/C in a hot climate. Will it cool down the car fast and keep up. I live in South Florida where A/C is used almost every day and a lot of those days are real hot. In fact the car I current drive does not have working heat and only needed a few mornings a year.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Considering purchasing a Prius. What is the general experience with the A/C in a hot climate."
The Prius a/c has been more than adequate for hot days in S. CA. I've had cars that produced "colder" air at MAX settings (GM) but not enough to make a significant difference. Since it's not belt driven, the Prius a/c is more efficient at low speeds (e.g., stopped with engine only cutting in when the battery needs some juice)
*I normally don't use the "Auto" climate control feature. It's easy to over ride and set the temp/fan speed of your choice. (The temp control on the steering wheel is a nice feature.)
Bottom line: The Prius a/c is not a reason to reject the car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
carlm said:
Considering purchasing a Prius. What is the general experience with the A/C in a hot climate. Will it cool down the car fast and keep up. I live in South Florida where A/C is used almost every day and a lot of those days are real hot. In fact the car I current drive does not have working heat and only needed a few mornings a year.
My dad's had a Prius in Naples, FL for 2.5 years. Air works great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in Phoenix and have driven my 04 Prius for 2 summers here. My experience is that if I set the A/C on medium, it is fairly comfortable. I keep the temp at 80 degrees, which may sound hot - but if its 100 degrees out 80 is nice and cool. My mileage drops about 5 MPG on medium, and drops about 10 MPG on high - so I get about 50 MPG on medium, and about 45 MPG on high.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mine works fine in Dallas.

Buy a custom fitted Sunshade for the front window from the dealer when you get the car, to speed cooldown. When using it remember to park facing the Sun.

[Editted to reflect data provided by tideland, quoting contributor ken1784:

Hi,
Following data is derived from Japanese FAQ site...
http://www.toyota.co.jp/faq/car/prius/

Unfortunately that link to the original data is now broken.]

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I got this from... either here or PriusChat, I don't remember.

................................................................................Visible Light Through Rate...UV Cut Rate
Window Sealed Glass.....Green IR Cut Glass...............................77%...........100%
Front Door Glass............Green Water Repelling UV Cut Glass...72%............91%
Rear Door Glass.............Cool Green UV Cut Glass.....................57%..............89%
Front Quarter Glass........Green UV Cut Glass.............................72%.............91%
Rear Quarter Glass.........Cool Green UV Cut Glass....................53%..............90%
Back Door Glass Upper...Cool Green UV Cut Glass...................53%...............90%
Back Door Glass Lower...Dark Gray........................................27%.................93%

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.