Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 months in and I STILL haven't figured out the air conditioner! Here's the situation: I normally keep the setting on "recirculate." However, when I speak a command (78 degrees, for example), it defaults to "outside" air. Why? And, can I set it to maintain the previous setting?

Also, I generally like the air setting somewhere between medium and low. When I give it the aforementioned command, it never seems to back off from a very high (and loud!) setting. It seems inefficient to have to go into the climate setting and manually lower the air.

In fact, since I normally do this anyway and set the air on low, is there any way to initiate the air—but KEEP IT ON LOW?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

marlowe

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you are on full auto, then it will control the horizontal, it will control the vertical, there is nothing wrong with your set.

Oops, zoned out there.
The recirc and fan speed is controlled automatically. If the cabin is quite warm, it will start out with recirc, but will usually go fresh after a couple of minutes. You can manually set it to recirc (toggle off, then on), and it will stay there as long as you don't set it back to full auto. Changing the temp does not set it to full auto, but turning the system off then on does reset to full auto.

Changing fan speed manually will turn off auto if memory serves me correctly. Even when you are no longer in auto, the compressor and heater core pump will be controlled appropriately to achieve the desired feels like temp.

For further information on the system, search for the key word HVAC.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: air

So, I guess the answer is, no, I can't get it to:

1. Stay on "recirculate" regardless of whether I turn system on/off.

2. Have the air start up on a lower setting.

How, then, do you guys leave the setting? I generally don't like the air blowing on high—but that's what full auto seems to do. Do you just set a temperature you like and leave it? I try to leave the system off when I can to save gas.

Thoughts?

·
Read Only
51 Posts
On auto mode the speed of the fan depends on how close your cabin temperature is to your desired temperature. If it is close then the fan speed will be low. It if it is very different it will be set to a higher speed until the cabin temperature gets to your desired temperature setting. Then it will gradually lower the speed of the fan. It also controls the setting of the vents upper only, both or lower and humidity.

You can watch it go through the different settings by switching to the climate screen and then change the temperature setting using the steering wheel temperature adjustment buttons. Keep changing the temperature first one direction then go the other direction and you will see it changing the fan speed and the vent controls to different settings.

I usually just leave it in auto mode and set the temperature to 75 in winter and 73 in the summer. Once it is adjusted to the set temperature the fan will go to low. But it will do that only if your setting allows it to maintain the desired temperature. If not then it will increase the fan speed to a higher setting. It will not just leave it at a high fan speed arbitrarily.

It is usually not a good idea to leave it in re-circulate all the time. It is better to get some fresh air from the outside once in a while. I know in my previous car the owner’s manual said never to leave the re-circulate on for more than ten minutes. I don’t remember seeing such a statement for the Prius, but it seems like a good idea to replace that CO2 that you breath out with some O2 even though with re-circulate on it probably replaces some of the air from the outside anyway.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There should be no problem with keeping the car in recirc. It is not a tight seal, and there is some leak built-in.

Recirc will work even when the HVAC system is off. Of course if you have it on fresh, you won't feel anything unless you are moving. Check it out the next time you change the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
put it on automatic select the temp you want year round and ***** about it!never touch the control again as long as you live (promise). it works great. of course this is ONLY my humble opinion. 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: re: air

marlowe7 said:
Do you just set a temperature you like and leave it?
Yes, and I average 52 to 54 MPG. The system works well. I can't believe that some people think that squeezing a small amount of MPG out is more important than being comfortable. The car does great at both, if you let it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: re: air

redwein said:
marlowe7 said:
Do you just set a temperature you like and leave it?
Yes, and I average 52 to 54 MPG. The system works well. I can't believe that some people think that squeezing a small amount of MPG out is more important than being comfortable. The car does great at both, if you let it.
Yeah, but here's my problem:

If it's 90 degrees outside and your car is easily 100 inside. You get in, start the car, and what happens?

The Auto AC kicks in and the fan comes on at MAX force. I can't stand that. I don't need the car to cool down immediately. When I run the AC manually, I NEVER turn the fan on higher than "3", and I'm in Southern California.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I point the vents away from my face. They come on full blast but the only effect is that the car cools down to what I want it to more quickly. On the occasion when I really do want the air on my face, I point them that way. That's just my habit and it works for me. It may not work for you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The Auto AC kicks in and the fan comes on at MAX force. I can't stand that. I don't need the car to cool down immediately. When I run the AC manually, I NEVER turn the fan on higher than "3", and I'm in Southern California.
I'm here in S CA also and I agree that the max fan speed at startup is annoying and unneccesary. I SKIP the Auto setting and just run the a/c on manual till things cool down. I prefer outside air unless I'm sitting in traffic sucking in fumes. The Auto setting seems to work OK if the cabin temp is at or close to your target number.
After 18 months of Priusing I've become pretty fast with the screen buttons. I adjust the temp, hit the a/c ON button and adjust fan speed to my liking. It will stay that way all day unless I change it. If it gets too cold you just adjust the temp on the steering wheel button.
Now that we're having a "cold snap" (that's 40-45 degrees at night for the rest of you) I find that the auto HEAT mode doesn't seem to over speed the fan as much as when you need cold air. Don't know why..
BTW Marlowe: We chatted a while back about MP3 recordings in the Prius. I was flat WRONG. My CD burner does NOT produce MP3's as I told you. The burned "Audio" CD's work fine in the Prius but they aren't MP3's.. You were correct. sorry bout that. I guess the 06 models have solved that problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts