Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not use my A/C much since owning the Prius, but the weather is getting hotter here in California

Well, the other day I turned the A/C on and it was cool for about 3 mnutes, then just blew air. I turned off the A/C then turned it back on agian and the same thing happened. I played with the Temp and Recirculated air vs. fresh air flow and it still kept happening. has anyone else had this problem and is my A/C system messed up

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nope, it's working fine (I'm also in the LA area).

Take it to the dealer and have the charge checked. This is in no way normal.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Also take a look at the sight glass. A bit of bubbling is OK, but it should turn clear quickly.

But then a clear glass could also indicate an empty or near empty system.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i bet it is your temp setting because otherwise you probably would not get the first 3 min of cool air. My dealer had my temp set for 85 since I got it during the spring (and it was cold). The same thing happen to me until I dropped the temp while using the auto A/C.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had the same reaction as Tadashi. Try lowering the preset temperature. If it is set to just a bit below whatever the temp is currently, it will behave the way you have described.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
His post said "I played with the Temp and Recirculated air vs. fresh air flow and it still kept happening" so I don't think it is the temp setting.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Tweaking by a degree or two might not kick it into a new mode if it was way off from where it needs to be... does the outside temp reading look reasonable? If that were way wrong it could also cause an issue, but that would need the dealer I presume.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Tweaking by a degree or two might not kick it into a new mode if it was way off from where it needs to be... does the outside temp reading look reasonable? If that were way wrong it could also cause an issue, but that would need the dealer I presume.
and don't forget to make sure that the solar gain sensor (small round globe on the dashboard near the window) is not covered by anything...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Even with that covered, still should get AC for more than 3 minutes. The sensor will simply increase AC/fan speed if it detects solar heat.

Been seeing it work when the sun comes in and out due to cloud cover. It is neat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts