Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the fiber mesh screen material that is located upstream of the air filter and can it be removed to allow for easier air flow...?

I just modified the airbox gasket to work with a K&N and was wondering about that last piece...?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's the charcoal canister, and it is not in the airflow path; it is in the air cleaner cover. The intake is on the passenger side of the cleaner body, the filter is on the driver side, charcoal pack above.

I believe the purpose of the charcoal is to pick up stray fuel vapors that may escape the intake manifold/throttle body. Part of the atkinson/miller cycle has fueled air in the cylinder to leak back out the intake valve during the early part of the compression stroke.

I believe this is also why you get the shudder when the engine shuts down during a trip especially when it is still cold; the engine is still given spark but no fuel to burn off any remaining vapor in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This "K & N Air Filter" keeps popping up in various posts. What is it and what are the advantages?

PA P

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
K&N

PA Prius said:
This "K & N Air Filter" keeps popping up in various posts. What is it and what are the advantages?
http://www.vfaq.net/mods/AirFilter.html

You'll find both rabid fans of it and also those with high contempt of it. My understanding is that it's reusable and supposedly takes more junk out of the air intake, but there's also concerns that the oil isn't good for the engine and it also lets too much air (and therefore particles) through it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait until Amsoil produces there new "nano technology" (whatever that is) filter for the Prius. It is to have 100k life, better air flow and filtering and no oiling.

PA P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.