Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saved $20 by installing an aftermarket cargo net on my 2006. Not a fortune, but enough to inspire me to ask:

Is it possible to DIY install GPS NAV on this vehicle? Assuming can even get it from Toyota? (And why not, I got the cargo net from a dealer?)

I didn't get the system in the first place because it is bundled with the HID headlights, which seemed awfully risky to get due to all the damage done by thieves prying them out. I have the HI/5 package, which includes the backup camera, if that is of any consequence.

Thanks for any responses.

+

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Is it possible to DIY install GPS NAV on this vehicle? ... And why not, I got the cargo net from a dealer? "

(insert sound of hand slapping forehead)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5480

I haven't heard of anyone yet brave enough (and with enough disposable cash and time) to replace all the needed parts for a NHW20. A few brave souls have managed on the NHW11, but at least all the dash buttons are the same on the Classic...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't want to spend the extra money on the in-dash NAV either, so I got a portible one for less money and with 2 advantages: 1) comes with XM radio and integrated real-time traffic and 2) I can use it in my other car.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The other advantage of portable GPS nav is that the maps are usually more detailed than what Toyota and other manufacturers are shipping with their vehicles (i.e. if you are in the boonies you will actually see more streets than what most on-board systems offer) and the map upgrades cost a whole lot less than the auto maker upgrades.

·
Registered
150 Posts
While my portable GPS unit has several advantages over my built-in Prius one, the portable unit relies solely on a satellite signal for detecting movement. In a downtown area with high rise buildings close enough together (like in the financial district of SF), the portable unit freaks out and can't help me much anymore. Whereas the Prius falls back on dead-reckoning, and continues to operate just fine in those dead zones.

I own the GD-70 model:
http://www.global-navigation.com/products.html
http://www.12volt.com/archives/2005/053105.html

Louie

·
Registered
101 Posts
One disadvantage on the stand-alone models is theft. You must constantly be viligant about removing it or hiding it if you are away from the car.

Just one broken window by someone who wants your stand-alone GPS unit will make you wonder if the extra money not spent for the built-in was actually money saved.

I will "probably" never own a vehicle without a built-in GPS again. Convenience is worth it, plus it couples to the cars audio features better than a stand-alone (mutes, you can talk to it, etc.).

All that said, I really dislike sitting in the car to program the thing verses my other 2 stand-alone units I have like on my bikes which I can program in the house or in a motel room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.