Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,I was wondering if I could add leather upholstery after market on my,
soon to come 2008 package#2.The salesperson I dealt with said it wasnt,
possible because of the positioning of the side airbags.I really think he just didnt,
want to deal with that kind of order.Is there any truth in what he said?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was shopping for a new Prius last week two dealers told me they could have leather seat covers installed on a Package #5 car. One dealer told me they have an outside contractor who buys Toyota seat kits and installs them in a couple of days. Cost was about $1,300. I was not crazy about someone ripping apart a brand new car. Fortunately, I was able to find the color combination I wanted (Super White with Bisque interior) with Package #6. Now I have the car I wanted. I am very pleased with the Prius so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Katzkin (what most installers use on the Prius) advertises their leather upholstery as having breakaway seams for proper side airbag deployment. That's why they have different kits depending on whether you have side airbags or not, and tags identifying them as such.

Now as to whether or not they actually work, I don't know the answer to that. But they do offer their dealers liability insurance coverage, and Katzkin aftermarket interiors w/installation are sold by Chrysler dealers as Mopar accessories, so that's a pretty good sign that they don't interfere with airbag deployment.

http://www.ascautomotivestyling.com/images/scan0002.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, we just ordered a Package 2 Prius with an aftermarket leather interior with heated seats. Our dealer was happy to add it on and never mentioned anything about it interfering with airbag deployment. Our dealer is Germain Toyota in Columbus, Ohio. Total cost: about $1400.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks priusenvy and ohioprius.At least now,I know it can be done.
So would you guys recommend the katzkin kits?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure about the kits. Our dealer said their leather is the same as the factory's. We'll see - I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up our Package 2 Prius Friday with gray after-market leather installed - looks great, perfectly installed. It was a good choice for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts