Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible (or necessary) to add a rear wiper to a car without one. I'm considering buying a car that doesn't have one...Any thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
My only thought is that I'll bet it will take at least a year to get one without the rear wiper. That one would surely have to be a "special order" I doubt if any have as yet been imported.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How difficult would it be to remove the rear wiper?

The front wipers are neatly protected from the wind stream behind the edge of the hood, but the rear wiper just hangs out there like an air dam.

Would I gain an MPG or two by removing it? Especially in summer when I am not expecting snow.

Personally I have never seen that much of a point to a rear wiper unless you are clearing snow.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Not sure. But then, the rear wiper's rest position is vertical, in line with the air flow.

G

·
0 Posts
Car was designed tested in a wind tunnel probably with the wiper designed location. It wasn't tested with mud flaps or roof racks and they will certainly influence your milage.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Anonymous said:
That one would surely have to be a "special order" I doubt if any have as yet been imported.
Loads were imported, mostly sold to car hire firms and now on the used market. Base model pre MY 2005 in the USA.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think what RJH is saying is that he/she's already found a car RJH wants to buy; it doesn't have a wiper, and RJH wants to know if he can add one.

rpm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RPM is correct- -I was considering a car that didn't have a rear wiper. Bought it anyway. Haven't seen a need for one yet. Even in heavy rain, the top window has stayed clear at highway speeds. One person suggested rainex, which I thought was a great idea, but like I said I'm not sure even that'll be needed...

·
Registered
115 Posts
The MPG in removing the wipe would be negligible. When I am driving at 60 I noticed mine does not even move unless there is a strong cross wind.

I would not add it. I have it and do not even use it. I applied rainx to all my windows and rarely even use my front wipers. Personally, I would have mine removed if possible. The tiny area that it wipes does not do much for me. I mainly use the lower portion to see through.

I definitely recommend getting rainx. It makes a big difference in visibility.

·
Registered
150 Posts
rjh said:
RPM is correct- -I was considering a car that didn't have a rear wiper. Bought it anyway. Haven't seen a need for one yet. Even in heavy rain, the top window has stayed clear at highway speeds. One person suggested rainex, which I thought was a great idea, but like I said I'm not sure even that'll be needed...
I've found that the rear wiper was helpful during heavy rains on city streets. But on the highway, my rear window doesn't get all that wet. All in all, you'll probably do fine without adding one. Rainex does help though.

Louie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to chime in here. On my Insight they all come standard with the rear wiper. I found a wiper hole plug part number off of an older Civic and it happened to be the same size. So A few washers, some removed interior trim later I had the wiper and motor removed. I honestly don't miss it one bit and it looks a lot cleaner.

Anyway I had often woundered on the Prius do the 04's with no rear wiper have the same windshield with a plug in it?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I have had use for the rear wiper, both to remove snow, but also to wipe off rain when in slow traffic. I have not noticed much rain collection on the highway. Usually I give it a swipe every few minutes when in the rain on the highway. I have discovered that frozen slush or ice on the rear window will keep the wiper from moving (duh) and it takes a while of having the rear defogger on to get enough of the ice to melt to release the wiper. Usually requires manual user intervention.

I'm used to the wiper off station on other vehicles being horizontal at the bottom of the window. I think this is the first vehicle I'm familiar with where the wiper off station is vertical. Vertical makes sense from an aerodynamic perspective.

Anyway, Thanks to a post someplace, I learned of the cover at the mount point can be removed to allow the wiper to tip upwards fully. Makes it a lot easier to clean under it if you take off that cover.

Anyway, I would think that putting a wiper on the car if it didn't come that way would be kind of difficult. There is a bulge on the liftgate between the panes of glass which holds the wiper motor. And along with that, there is no piping to the rear of the car for a sprayer. Seems to me that it would be more work than it is worth.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Tadashi said:
The MPG in removing the wipe would be negligible. When I am driving at 60 I noticed mine does not even move unless there is a strong cross wind.

I would not add it. I have it and do not even use it. I applied rainx to all my windows and rarely even use my front wipers. Personally, I would have mine removed if possible. The tiny area that it wipes does not do much for me. I mainly use the lower portion to see through.

I definitely recommend getting rainx. It makes a big difference in visibility.
Will the Rainx help baby-back window? That little dark subwindow gets spotted up quicker than I can clean it and it does not wipe easily with the gas station squeegy.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
Will the Rainx help baby-back window? That little dark subwindow gets spotted up quicker than I can clean it and it does not wipe easily with the gas station squeegy.
Gas station squeegy? eeew... You don't even know where that's been.

I bought a little one about the size of your average minnesota ice-scraper for handling the rear window. works great

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:
Gas station squeegy? eeew... You don't even know where that's been.

I bought a little one about the size of your average minnesota ice-scraper for handling the rear window. works great
What were you planning to wipe with that gas station sqeegy? :shock:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Actually I was reminded of a particular fill up... Usually I hit two or three windows while the pump is ticking away, swtiching off sides/front/back each tank...

I started on the passenger side of the windshield and got about half done when I noticed the water had an odd smell... sour like bad cabbage... I quit washing the windows...

10 miles up the road, I was pulled off at another station scrubbing off what had become an opaque greasy white film.

I don't know *what* was in that water, and I don't want to know, either. I do know that I now wash my windows at home :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
Actually I was reminded of a particular fill up... Usually I hit two or three windows while the pump is ticking away, swtiching off sides/front/back each tank...

I started on the passenger side of the windshield and got about half done when I noticed the water had an odd smell... sour like bad cabbage... I quit washing the windows...

10 miles up the road, I was pulled off at another station scrubbing off what had become an opaque greasy white film.

I don't know *what* was in that water, and I don't want to know, either. I do know that I now wash my windows at home :)
Here in the winter those squeege resevoirs need to be refilled often each day. No time for things to ferment. I suppose you have to check for aligators down there.

Could you do my windows too if I stop by? 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts