Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone ever bought a BI or AM or basic option Prius and was able to add some of the BC options later? I think eventually, if it's possible, I'd like to add the navigation system and possibly upgrade the CD player, but at the time of my buying the car, the price of adding those options was just a little too high for me, even though the salesperson recommended that if I were to get all the options, best to buy them upfront. Plus I would have had to wait another month. I have a second job that pays sporadically through the year but which I know will give me a nice chunk of change later that I might use for upgrades

Currently I have the BI with the stability control.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You can't add OEM NAV, VSC, JBL sound, airbags, HID or SKS. The harness isn't there, and there's more than one piece that would need to be added anyway, making it not worthwhile. NAV would require the MFD to be replaced, as well as the steering wheel controls, for example.
You can add a CD changer, which fits in the cubby hole, or the mirror. Did I miss any options?

You could use a portable NAV, such as a Garmin system or a PDA/laptop with GPS add-on and corresponding software.

Secret: If you have a package that supposedly doesn't include the alarm, guess what? All the packages have the alarm hardware, just some have it turned off, and can be turned on with an undocumented setting in the Toyota scantool. I believe it is the DOR setting under the security options. You might get a friendly dealer to enable it, and if they balk, offer to buy the Glass Breakage Sensor if they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm specifically interested in adding the fog lamps. (My car was not due for 2 more months, and one became available without VSC and Fog Lamps - so I took it.)

1. Is it possible to add the fog lamps later?

2. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm disappointed with the factory fog lamps and usually keep them off. They don't match the "color" of the HID lamps, and in fog people say they're ineffective (I rarely drive in fog, so can't tell) BUT would say if you add fogs, don't get factory ones!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There was a rather lengthy discussion of after adding fog lamps in a recent thread. I think DanMan32 discussed the addition of not only the lamps, but the brackets and the bumper with holes to put them in, and the horse they rode in on. Try "search" for fog and DanMan32. Bet you find something on point.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
you can add the Homelink/autodimming mirror, the alarm, the glass breakage sensor, and also the Toyota 6-CD changer into the cubbyhole (but a cassette player addon hasn't been found yet).

some Europeans are still working on a 2004+ Prius cruise control upgrade for the 2004+ Prius. If you have a Classic, you can get a kit from Toyota for the cruise control.

Nav is not easy (lots of missing parts and lots of labor) to do on a Classic Prius. Even more parts for the 2004+ Prius so probably not a choice...

·
Registered
5 Posts
mrv said:
some Europeans are still working on a 2004+ Prius cruise control upgrade for the 2004+ Prius. If you have a Classic, you can get a kit from Toyota for the cruise control.
Could you tell me where to find more about this investigation? I'm very interested in adding a CC to my Prius, as it was not even an option some months ago...

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prius options/accessories

I just ordered a Salsa Red '05, and I was told to expect a 30 minute presentation on their available options, etc. when we take delivery in a month. I'm still not sold on the extended warranty, as I'm fairly comfortable with working on cars, etc. The person doing our paperwork recommended the warranty, as it covers a part (can't recall the name of it) that connects the electric motor to the gas engine, that costs $10,500 to replace. Is there such an expensive part, does it tend to go out, ever, and how could they build the rest of the car for 10K if that part costs 10K to replace?

I've never purchased a new vehicle before. What other options are they going to try to hit me with? She wouldn't say, even when I specificly asked. Nearly killed the deal, as it left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
fmc said:
mrv said:
Could you tell me where to find more about this investigation? I'm very interested in adding a CC to my Prius, as it was not even an option some months ago...

Thanks
I thought I saw it a while back on:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-Europe/
There is a thread starting here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... essage/517 which refers to this document (you have to be a group member to view): http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... ontrol.pdf

(there's at least one person on there that didn't order from his home country (Italy) but ordered from France and imported the Prius, just to get Cruise Control...)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: Prius options/accessories

tbaxter said:
I just ordered a Salsa Red '05, and I was told to expect a 30 minute presentation on their available options, etc. when we take delivery in a month. I'm still not sold on the extended warranty, as I'm fairly comfortable with working on cars, etc. The person doing our paperwork recommended the warranty, as it covers a part (can't recall the name of it) that connects the electric motor to the gas engine, that costs $10,500 to replace. Is there such an expensive part, does it tend to go out, ever, and how could they build the rest of the car for 10K if that part costs 10K to replace?

I've never purchased a new vehicle before. What other options are they going to try to hit me with? She wouldn't say, even when I specificly asked. Nearly killed the deal, as it left a bad taste in my mouth.
As for available Toyota options (which can vary in your region), I suggest going to http://www.toyota.com/prius and filling in your ZIP code in the "Build and Price your Prius" box on the left. pretend to build your car. You'll get an options list with the MSRP.

As for the finance guy/closer, they can add a bunch of other stuff. Only go for the extended warranty if you want it, and if it is a Toyota product (not a 3rd party). Know the pricing: http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html check with the dealer service department ahead of time, ask what the different services cost, so that you have some leverage if the finance guy throws at you the Toyota Prepaid Maintenance plan. (know that the Prius already comes with 3 years/36,000 miles of Toyota Roadside Assistance, so you can use that to bargain down the Prepaid Maintenance plan as there's no need to double-pay for that.) Some of the extended warranty dealers also offer discounted Prepaid Maintenance plans. MSRP for the Prepaid Maintenance plan is at: http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/prep ... index.html
(Basically, do look through http://www.toyotafinancial.com/index.jsp ahead of time...)

You may also be asked about pinstriping, window VIN etching, scotchguarding/interior or exterior/paint "protection," or an added vehicle security tracking system like LoJack or GuidePoint. Lojack or GuidePoint or similar (if just the transponder/vehicle locator) may be worth it to you (discount on auto insurance), or maybe you like the pinstriping, but I'd avoid the high prices for the window VIN etching and unneeded gunk for "protection."

If you want a 3M film aka invisible/clear bra, that's up to you. Same with door ding bars.

Just don't be pressured into buying or paying for extra stuff that you didn't order and don't want.

and don't let them charge you for filling the gas tank. a full tank comes with the car - it's on the window sticker!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
fmc said:
mrv said:

Thanks
If you are referring to a 2004/2005, in NA, the cruise control input is on pin 13 on the same connector that the EV is on (the bottom one).
Connect a 240 ohm, a 390 ohm and a 1K ohm resistor in series in that order. The 240 ohm end attaches to pin 13. All junctions including the junction connecting to the pin go through a switch to ground, so you need 4 switches.
The switch directly connecting to the pin is the on/off switch.
The switch between the 270 ohm and the 390 ohm resistors would be +/Resume
The switch between the 390 ohm and the 1K ohm would be the -/Set.
The switch on the outside end of the 1K resistor is the cancel switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If you are referring to a 2004/2005, in NA, the cruise control input is on pin 13 on the same connector that the EV is on (the bottom one).
Connect a 240 ohm, a 390 ohm and a 1K ohm resistor in series in that order. The 240 ohm end attaches to pin 13. All junctions including the junction connecting to the pin go through a switch to ground, so you need 4 switches.
The switch directly connecting to the pin is the on/off switch.
The switch between the 270 ohm and the 390 ohm resistors would be +/Resume
The switch between the 390 ohm and the 1K ohm would be the -/Set.
The switch on the outside end of the 1K resistor is the cancel switch.
Yes, mine is 7 month old.

I found this morning that some people in Spain are having it installed with original parts at the dealer. It's not expensive (around 100€ =120$) so I'll ask my dealer again if my Prius could have one, because I suppose doing that should break my warranty...

Anyway I'll take this into account. Does it need any activation in the software?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I couldn't say, but I doubt it. All the NA cars have CC standard.
I just gave the information just as you (overseas collectively) provided us with information so that we got EV. You may or may not get a CRUISE indicator on your dash if it works.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
adding cruise control to a 2004+ Prius

mrv said:
fmc said:
mrv said:

Thanks
I thought I saw it a while back on:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-Europe/
There is a thread starting here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... essage/517 which refers to this document (you have to be a group member to view): http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... ontrol.pdf

(there's at least one person on there that didn't order from his home country (Italy) but ordered from France and imported the Prius, just to get Cruise Control...)
Besides the 2004+ parts list for adding cruise control to a non-equipped Italian 2004 Prius as listed above, there's also some of the workshop/tech/maintenance manual sections on the cruise control posted:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... 20overall/

Here's the original post from the person who did the conversion and came up with the parts list: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... essage/435

(The messages section of Prius-Europe anyone can read. The files section, where all the good stuff is, requires that you be a member of the group (which does not need moderator approval to join). It's a free membership to join the yahoogroup, but you could get annoyed with all of the advertisements on the pages.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, both! :wink:

I read, I also need a new brake switch for the CC, but complete installation is done in less of an hour. I'm waiting for dealer's confirmation to install it. I think mine will be the first to be installed here, because they still said it was impossible when I asked this week :roll:

I joined yahoo's group, and I found it very insteresting and plentful of information. Thanks again

I'll notice to you when I have work done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Heh, I wonder what the CC would do if you connected a
2K pot across where the resistor chain is, and slowly
drifted it up and down?
_H*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts