Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister owns a 2001 Prius and she wants a cd player. Last time I looked you had to either buy a kit that came with a Jensen head unit and some adapter to connect to the stock radio or use a cd changer with an FM modulator. The kit with Jensen HU was over $300 which is too much. So I am looking at this cd changer http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oyahGpMMQZ ... cd+changer

I have a few questions first. How do you get to the antenna cable? I look at the dash and it doesn't look very easy. I have never worked on a car with the radio integrated into the dash. But I have installed headunits, speakers, and amps before in other cars.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
For a classic (2001-2003) Prius, there are only 5 CD options that you can get that'll interface with the dash buttons and touch-screen controls:

The Toyota 1CD player: Part number 08601-00870, replaced by part number
08601-47801 in 2003 (Y-harness now built in, to avoid Newarkitis)
The Toyota 6CD changer: Part number 08601-00891, replaced by part number
08601-47800 in 2003 (Y-harness now built in, to avoid Newarkitis)

For both of those, you'll still need the setting kit: Part number 08695-47020 for the older CD players (comes with Y-harness), replaced by part numbr 08695-47800 in 2003.

Alternately, you could get one of Harry's Jensen CD/MP3 players (models MP3510, MP3310, MP5010) which comes with an adapter board which allows the Jensen units to talk to the Prius' controls.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bumpelo/front.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
What other options

What other options do I have if I dont want to interface into the display.
IE can I add a standard cd player and use that into the speaker wires.
Or will this screw something up..

It has been suggested to me to use an FM modulated cd changer, any experience with this.

I live in NZ, so it is impossible to get original toyota parts here.

By the way my car is the 01 Japanese model - but looks the same as the US model..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts