Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed an order for a Silver BI. I can't wait. I've learned a lot from this forum. The issue with the 3.9 quarts of oil was especially interesting.

I've seen several posts saying that if you want an extended warranty you shouldn't buy it from the dealer, but from another source ( I forget the company).

Given that the drivetrain warranty is eight years and 100,000 miles, I was wondering if an extended warranty is necessary at all. I appreciate your comments. :D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I didn't buy one for my ‘04. I'm not a proponent for extended warrantees on any item. Check Consumers Report for their advice about extended warrantees. ...just my personal opinion.

G

·
RoboChemE said:
wondering if an extended warranty is necessary at all. I appreciate your comments. :D
In a word, no.

Before considering the price of an extended warantee, subtract from each such product you are offered the Toyota warantee you get free with the car. Often you'll find that what you're paying $995 for only extends the manufacturer's policy by a couple of years or a few thousand miles. They don't market them that way, of course, rather they'll give you chapter and verse on the full length of the extended warantee. Consider, too, how you drive. My sister and brother-in-law were offered an extender that, considering how few miles they log per year, would cost them near $1000 and only give them one more year's coverage before it would expire.

Ultimately you'll need to decide if the little extension is worth the price. Count on a significant extension of the manufacturer's warantee to cost you a ton.

A co-worker uses a tack I like: when the salesman goes into his warantee spiel and talks about how much each of those control computers costs, he asks "do you mean these cars aren't reliable?", followed up with "what is the actual failure rate on these items?" and finishes with "I'll probably trade this car in before the standard warantee is through, anyway." End of spiel.

Enjoy your new car! They're really great vehicles.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Normally I wouldn't either, but CU will consider it a good idea for expensive items that have expensive repair costs, like laptops, esp. if the screen is covered. There's a lot of expensive, complicated stuff in the Prius only covered for 36K, which will be a little more than a year of ownership for me.

Though Toyota has been very good to its customers, it was not obligated to do many fixes that have been reported now and again, that were otherwise expensive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Matter of opinion.

And a matter of how you drive.

For me I never drive that many miles so I'm looking at the years.

I bought a 7 year, 75,000 mile warranty for $690. I figure it was worth the piece of mind because whatever might go in the time between when the regular warranty expires and the 7 year extended warranty expires would cost me more than the $690 I paid for coverage. A Prius is a pretty complicated piece of machinery and I feel better.

But I certainly wasn't going to pay the $2,200 the dealer was asking for a 7/100,000.

Check with Troy at priuschat if you want to pursue a warranty.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I initially said I didn't want the extended warranty and that I could decide within 36 months anyway. That's when the push began. I was offered a .3 drop in interest rate and reduction in the cost of life insurance in case I kick off before the car is paid for. (We always choose to get that extra insurance so that the debt doesn't fall on the spouse.) When I mentioned that the hybrid system was well insured anyway, he said the mechanical warranty would cover high cost items such as air conditioning. When all was said and done, I went with it for about $1000. Considering the Prius is such an inventive car, I felt the security of a warranty was worth the few extra dollars per month to pay for it. By the way, I was told that interest incentives weren't available for the Prius because of its high demand. Other Toyota models on the lot were being advertised from 0% to 2% financing. I got 4.2 which didn't thrill me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hmm... maybe someone should do a poll on this. I've also been schooled never to take the extended warranty and CA already requires an additonal warannty on the battery. Wonder who will get the last laugh!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
This is the first extended warranty I ever looked for. Wouldn't have even thought of purchasing something like this without one. This is one car that the neighborhood mechanic is never going to work on. I know I'm repeating myself but service manuals for just about every thing on four wheels are contained in one book. The Prius servace manual comes in three volumes, 10 inches thick and weighs 12 lbs. 36 months won't come even close!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just to be the devil's advocate, just because its complex, why would that make it take LONGER to fail than for a more traditional vehicle? One of the arguments for not taking the extended warranty is that after a certain point, failure would be considered normal wear and tear which wouldn't be covered in any case.

My local mechanic wouldn't work on it, but the nearest Toyota dealer is walking distance from my house... The argument that the repairs may be more expensive than average, I get. That one worries me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My personal feeling...

I think the car will last longer than average wear and tear or whatever. I think Toyota is staking it's reputation and future on this car. So even though something is warrantied for 3 years or 4 years I don't think it's going to "go" right after it's out of warranty. No planned obsolescence here. It is worth their while to make sure the car outperforms and outlasts any warranty they slap on it. They need as few stories as possible about expensive repairs.

That doesn't mean you can't get a lemon. Hence I bought the extended warranty. It comes to less than $100 a year. Besides...I paid cash up front so there is no additional cost by financing it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You make some valid points, Godiva. I'm excited to have a Prius Hybrid, but I am equally pleased to have a Toyota once again--it's been 20 years. Toyota's cars do very well in consumer research whether with safety issues or customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Bumper/bumper 3/36
drivetrain 5/60
Hybrid (does not include PSD) 8/100
But you are in CA, I believe the Hybrid warranty is longer, 10years, 150K miles, or that might just be the battery. Some parts of the warranty are longer in CA. Ck with dealer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I did not buy the ext warranty on my 04.

I expect Toyota will solicit for an extended, again, as my vehicle approaches the 3yr/36k miles. Depending on the price I can negotiate, I will seriously consider it.

G

·
Warentee periods

Just to be clear, the 36k warantee covers everything. Some here have written that the Prius is a very complicated vehicle. While true, keep in mind that the "complicated" parts are covered to 80k (or is it 100k on hybrid parts?).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I'll tell you what I believe is a lot of sense. Go to your Toyota dealer and in the finance office pick up a pamphlet on Toyota's platinum warranty. It lists in black print all that is warranted on time and milage on Toyotas standard warranties and then lists all covered in blue print for the extended warranty. Figuring you can purchase this for between $800.00 and $985.00 from a Toyota dealer (check here for listings) see if you don't think it is the best option offered on the car. It really is there in "black and blue." And regardless of what you might think, that twelve pound, three volume set of service manual does make a differance, Granted a U.S. writer probably could have got it into one big one.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I bought the extended warrantee, the first time I ever did. They are a real moneymaker for the seller.

It wasn't just the HSD that concerned me. In fact, I figured since Toyota is betting so much of their future on the technology, that they got it right and will stand by it to protect its image for new buyers.

It's all the other stuff on the car that concerns me: The Nav system, ABS, CD changer, the little pumps for brake fluid and coolant, all the plastic pieces that can get brittle over time. Older, simpler cars had so little of those things I wouldn't have bothered, but even with a conventinal engine, this would be a complex car I would want the dealer to work on in most cases. I also liked the idea of the "call one number on my cell phone and viola, problem solved" since I am so busy for the next few years.

No doubt on average it's not a good deal, but if YOU are the one who needs it, it's money well spent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are gambling against the house.

All consumer goods have some sort of built-in obsolesence. If cars lasted forever the automotive industry would be dead after a few years of making "everlasting gobstoppers". You could pass your car on to your grandchild.

Therefore, Toyota is basically admitting that their cars will fall apart.

It's like a lightbulb. Toyota sells a 6,250 hour bulb but only guarantees 3,200 hours. Then they sell you a warantee package (at multiple price points) to extend your protection to 4,000, 5,000, or even 6,000 hours.

Don't be a sucker.

The house has the edge since they know how many hours their bulb is actually rated and engineered for.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts