Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a post about 2005 prius. Is that reliable source? 78MPG sounds a bit too attractive from 60MPG. I have seen the auto parallel parking feature from Japanese website so I can trust on that. Also, when 2005 comes out, would that be more expensive than 04? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 Prius

A Toyota dealer in Hollywood told me both in person and in an email that the 2005 model year Prius is due out in September and that there are no scheduled changes for the vehicle. He also said it would probably be more expensive.

I find it hard to believe that there would be no changes between the 2004 and 2005. But I also find it hard to belive that a dealer would neglect to tell me about added features like better mileage and auto parallel parking. Where did you get your information? I also saw the Japanese video, but my understanding was that the technology wasn't ready for release in the U.S.

Please let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would expect to see very few changes, perhaps a couple of new colors, and maybe (but unlikely) a new wheel design. I would also expect to see a price increase.

·
Registered
623 Posts
2005PriuS said:
There is a post about 2005 prius. Is that reliable source? 78MPG sounds a bit too attractive from 60MPG. I have seen the auto parallel parking feature from Japanese website so I can trust on that. Also, when 2005 comes out, would that be more expensive than 04? Thanks.
The post you are refering to is a joke. Nobody actually knows anything yet about the 2005. However, Toyota usually makes major model changes once every 5 or 6 years, so nobody expects more than (perhaps) a few bug fixes. Some people are hoping for a better gas gauge or an EV button. Lots of folks (myself included) believe that Toyota kept the 2004 Prius relatively cheap to break into the market, and that therefore a price increase is possible. But when or if or how much is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2005 more expensive?

Wow...I hope the 2005 isn't more expensive. The price of the 2004 already makes it available to a fairly elite group. If the price keeps going up that doesn't bode well for the future of hybrid vehicles.

I assumed that, like most new technology, it would become less expensive with time (e.g. DVD players). Now that other cars and other car makers are releasing 2005 hybrids using the same Toyota technology, shouldn't the Prius get cheaper?

·
Registered
928 Posts
The price of cars in general has trended upward year after year. The price of electronics has trended downward. So I really don't think it's a good assumption to think that car prices will suddenly switch to the electronics model just because of hybridization.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Prius is a very nice car, probably a good idea for the introduction of a brand-new technology. Eventually HSD will be available in more cars, some of them more economical. So while the Prius will probably never come down in price, there should be cheaper hybrid cars available before too many years pass. Toyota says eventually all its cars will be available as hybrids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RSnyder said:
The price of cars in general has trended upward year after year. The price of electronics has trended downward. So I really don't think it's a good assumption to think that car prices will suddenly switch to the electronics model just because of hybridization.
I wasn't assuming that the cost of cars would come down, but rather that the cost of hybrid technology would come down. I would expect the cost of the Prius (and other hybrid cars) to get closer to their non-hybrid "equivalents." While the Prius is a very nice car, comparing it to a car with similar options, it is quite a bit more expensive.

I know, I know...there are no "equivalents" to a Prius, so it's hard to compare.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sassafrass said:
I wasn't assuming that the cost of cars would come down, but rather that the cost of hybrid technology would come down. I would expect the cost of the Prius (and other hybrid cars) to get closer to their non-hybrid "equivalents."
This very well may be true. But it will be related to the volume of production, so you'll probably have to wait until hybrids are a significant proportion of all car sales. That could be some years yet.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
2005PriuS said:
78MPG sounds like about what the current 2004 Prius gets on the Japanese-cycle fuel economy tests. (different test than the US EPA tests, so different results...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last weekend, I got myself on the waiting list at a dealership in the Chicago suburbs. They told me that car I'd be getting would be a 2005 model.

They said the sticker price on the car would be going up by $300, and therefore the price I'd have to pay when I took delivery would reflect that new price. (This is for the "AM" option package, also known as #7 I think?) I don't know if the price hike is the same for all option packages.

The guy didn't know about any changes being made to the car for next year -- I would suspect that the 2004 model year got a major overhaul, they wouldn't be doing much to change it so soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sodium11 said:
Last weekend, I got myself on the waiting list at a dealership in the Chicago suburbs. They told me that car I'd be getting would be a 2005 model.
Did they say how long they expected the wait to be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
only thing i've been told is that if you order now, you will get a 2005 prius. The toyota dealer told me this and also mentioned that there would be no price increase and no changes to the car. He said that toyota likes to keep their models the same so the resale of the car remains higher. The only likely changes are probably cosmetic, and won't happen for another year or two probably (i.e. headlights, etc.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Price reasonable?

I'm not an auto shopping expert, but it appeared to me that the base price Prius, at $20,299 is very comparable to a similarly equipped Camry, which is the closest comparison (not a Kia or Echo). Likewise, when you add in the #9 package with side airbags and all, it still looks good compared with comparable quality midsize quality cars. Folks who were on the wait list prior to the price increase also get the $300 back from Toyota, and a $1500 tax break in 2004, declining in 2005 to $1,000.

Am I an out of touch car buyer? This car looks like a very good deal to me. I would have probably gotten just the side air bags, keyless entry, and hands-free phone if that package were available--I could do without the NAV, etc.. Unfortunately, you have to take the #9 package to get that.

If someone eventually markets a smaller, less expensive vehicle with the hybrid basics in the $15,000 zone, that would be great for entry-level buyers, of course. But the big market that will cut our oil use is in hybridizing SUVs, vans and pickups. I'm lining up for a hybrid Tundra when that becomes available!

It's looking likely that Prius will be allowed to use the HOV (diamond) lanes with 1 occupant later this year, as an SULEV vehicle.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Price reasonable?

hinalea said:
Am I an out of touch car buyer? This car looks like a very good deal to me.
I definitely agree. I think it's a very good deal. (Though for me the NAV would not have been worth it since I live in a small city. I got the #7 instead.)

One note, however: I believe the $1,500 tax deduction applies only if you take delivery of the car in 2004. If you receive your car in calendar year 2005 the deduction drops to $1,000, unless they change the tax law again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: Price reasonable?

hinalea said:
Folks who were on the wait list prior to the price increase also get the $300 back from Toyota, and a $1500 tax break in 2004, declining in 2005 to $1,000.
people should be aware that the $300 rebate from Toyota (for those who placed orders prior to the MSRP increase in March) is for people who end up with 2004 models...I don't believe I will get the $300 if my car ends up being a 2005...the letter from Toyota seems clear on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got an email today from my toyota dealer on prepaying for 05 with an august build for $2000 over sticker. No new changes just paint colors.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why $2K over sticker--check around

I'd suggest checking with other dealers if your dealer talks about more than sticker pricing. Most dealers are not marking Prius up. I paid straight sticker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
78 MPG

78 MPG doesn't sound out of line. The 2004 was rated at 71/67 in Canada.

Keep in mind that most of the world using MPG are using British Imperial gallons.

1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts